Sunday, May 22, 2016

Our Week, Backwards

Sunday: This morning I woke up around 5:40 a.m. to super loud thunder and lightning flashes in my window. It was a crazy storm and it lasted for a couple hours. Kenny and I gave talks at church today, and my sweet parents drove all the way out here to sit with the kids during sacrament meeting, and hear us speak. It was completely unnecessary and I kept telling them they really didn't need to come, but they insisted. We felt so loved, and of course the kids always love seeing grandpa and grandma. After church, Tyler got to go home teaching with Kenny since his companion was sick, and Ty even helped teach the lesson. He loved it.

This afternoon something pretty embarrassing happened. Briggs loves to ride around on his little plasma car or trike ALL the time. Seriously that kid will just be outside for hours riding around, it makes him so happy. He's never left the driveway before. It's a really long driveway, and we have a good amount of cement patio in the back. So he normally just kind of goes back and forth and I see him out the window every couple minutes. Well I was reading books to the girls and I realized I hadn't seen Briggs for a while so I sent Tyler outside to find him. Next thing I know there's a strange lady knocking on my door. She was there to report that my baby had gone on his little bike clear down the driveway and down the street and was on the bridge part of the road. Not only that, but our stupid dog had followed him out there. Tyler had already found him and was walking him back home. But this lady still felt it was her neighborly duty to come over and tell me how dangerous it was to have my child wander off like that. Not just because of the cars that can come fast around the bend in the road there, but also because of snakes. (People keep telling us there's water moccasins, and they get worse when it rains a lot apparently.) I thanked her for her concern, but inside was wishing she had never come over in the first place. I know perfectly well how dangerous it is and I was dying inside as soon as I heard how far he had gone. It was a very irresponsible mom moment for me, and I won't let him play outside independently anymore. He just does it every single day and has never once left before. Now I know that he can, and will, and I'll keep a better eye on him. I'm just thankful nothing happened to my sweet little boy.

Saturday: I watched my friend Lori's kids for half the day as they were packing and getting ready to move. Kenny did a bunch of yard work all morning and then left for a big youth Super Saturday activity. He was in charge of the entertainment and had some pretty fun games. Family Feud, gospel style and another one I can't remember. Anyway he said it went well and they all had fun.

Friday: After I picked the kids up from school we headed into Port Arthur and Kenny met me at the mall when he got off work. We switched cars and I went by myself to get my hair done, while he took the kids out to dinner and then home for swimming and bed. It was nice to have a few hours to myself, and feeling better about how my hair looks. I got it trimmed with some layers, and highlighted. Fun change for the summer. Kenny taught Briggs how to "jump" (read: belly-flop) off the diving board while I was gone. He is so independent with his little floaties on, it's awesome. He just swims around and gets in and out and loves his freedom in the pool. Makes it SO nice for me.

Thursday: my mom came out for the day which is always a treat. She had just flown in from D.C. that morning. (Accompanied my dad on a business trip.) It was fun having her around. We had hoped on swimming that day, but it was cloudy and then rained a ton that evening again. She came with me and the older kids to their school's book fair and then drove back home.
My crazy kids were all playing in the pouring rain. It probably wasn't the smartest to let them jump on the trampoline with all the lightning going on, but they sure had a blast. And rain or shine, that Briggs has got places to go on his bike.

Wednesday: Tyler was supposed to have his raingutter regatta for cub scouts that night. But he was a little bit irresponsible and lost some of the key pieces to making the little boat. So he hadn't completed it. Not only that, but then he showed up at the church only to realize it was being held at someone else's house. Double fail. So he got to go to Young Men's with Kenny. They were playing a Book of Mormon jeopardy game. The funny--and also pathetically sad--part is that Tyler won by a landslide. Apparently the youth in our ward don't know the scriptures or gospel very well at all. Kenny said it was pretty embarrassing how easy and basic the questions were, and yet they couldn't answer them. Ty knew them all, and it was a big boost to his little ego haha.

Tuesday: It was a rough day in some respects. I completely cleaned and rearranged our master bedroom. It had sort of become dumping grounds for a whole lot of stuff and I just couldn't take it anymore. So I tackled that huge project and continued to neglect my kids for yet another day while I worked on things. Kelsey especially was letting me know how she felt about me not spending any time with her. She was acting up a lot, and decided to color on her new (white) bed, her bed sheets, and some nice pen on every person's face/forehead on one of our big canvas family portraits. I didn't get upset on the first thing I found, but by the time I had seen all 3 ruined things I yelled at her. I probably said something really cool like she'd never be able to use another pen or marker again. (drama much?) I felt pretty guilty that night after I put her to bed, realizing that I was to blame for ignoring her so much. She was trying to get my attention, one way or another. I will just add though, that our master bedroom does look awesome now and it's a nice, relaxing space. I like to have my own private, CLEAN space, when the rest of the house doesn't feel like that. But anyway, I devoted Wednesday entirely to my little ones and what they wanted to do. Things have improved greatly since I made that change.


No comments: