Monday, November 5, 2012

Halloween 2012

When the heck did November get here? Good grief. Well Halloween came and went. We had a fun time, but it was nice, short, and simple. We didn't do any trick-or-treating around our neighborhood, but we did participate in the ward trunk-or-treat.
 
We got there late, and it seemed most of the kids had already made the rounds. It was freezing cold. Seriously. It was about 18 degrees outside. So all the kids were so bundled up it was hard to tell who was what. But we quickly walked around to all the trunks in the parking lot and then everyone started to go home. So we did, too :).
Every year I want to do some cute family-themed costume idea, but I never end up doing anything cute or creative. I guess I'm lame like that. I really don't care what they choose to be. My only criteria is that it's cheap, and that it's something they'll want to wear over and over again. My kids play dress-ups almost every day, so if they choose it out themselves, I know they're much more likely to wear it again and again. The two younger girls got hand-me-down costumes because they don't care :).
 
Tyler: Army Soldier  -  Bryn: Witch  -  Madison: Bunny that pouts for pictures  -  Kelsey: Puppy

When they got home, they dumped out their buckets to see what they had got. Tyler lined all of his candy up in neat rows to evaluate it. Madison was the funniest as she would NOT let go of her bucket of candy the whole entire night, nor the next day. She was very protective of it. The next day, I gave them the option of choosing 10 pieces of candy, and then trading in the rest for a new coloring book. Ty and Bryn loved that idea because they both really love coloring. Madi didn't know what was going on, so it was easy to limit hers. Kenny and I exercised great self-control and didn't indulge in even one single piece of candy. It was a simple, yet happy halloween. Just the way I like it.

*A quick word about that puppy dog costume. We bought that at Wal-mart in Rexburg, ID for like 10 bucks. All 4 of our children have worn it for their first Halloweens. Now that was a good purchase.

1 comment:

Elise said...

I like the puppy tradition! How fun.