Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Flight Home

We flew home on Monday, Jan. 14th. My dad drove us down to the airport (they live about 2 hours from Houston) since he had to fly out early the next morning. When we were about 30 minutes away, my mom called to let me know that I had left my baby bjorn at her house!!! This was very bad news. But there was nothing to do about it, it just made things that much more complicated. Flying with 4 kids by myself is hard enough, but when I don't have a stroller, or baby carrier or anything, it makes it tricky. I can't put her down, I can't go to the bathroom, I can't get any rest because I will be holding her the whole time. I started praying even harder.
 One of the airport workers that checks your tickets and ID through security, immediately got replaced right after she got us through that part of the line. Whether her shift was up, or whatever, she came right over to me and offered to help me through security. She took all the kids jackets and backpacks off and got us all through without any problems. We even left a backpack there, and while sitting at our gate waiting to board, she walks up and hands it to me with a smile. She had come and found us! I'm sure we weren't difficult to spot. People stared a lot. But anyway I was beyond grateful to her for her kindness.
Another huge tender mercy was that on the first flight, before our layover in Seattle, the flight was miraculously only about half full!! That never happens to us. But we got 2 whole rows to ourselves. 6 seats, when we only take up 4. So that made Kelsey and Madison so happy to be able to move around a bit on that 4 hour flight. That was exactly what we needed.
The second flight was really late for us. We landed in Anchorage at 11:49 p.m., but it obviously felt like 3 a.m. to us since we were on Texas time. So all the kids slept the whole second flight. I got some cute shots of the girls. Sleeping on an airplane (as everyone knows) is so not comfortable. I got maybe 20 minutes of sleep the whole time (holding Kelsey), but I was glad they were able to get some rest.
Tyler sat across the aisle on the row next to us. Again, we were blessed to have him next to a very kind, older, motherly lady who didn't mind at all that Tyler was often sleeping on her arm, or crossing over into her seat. She was so kind.
 


That night wasn't easy, I'll be honest. But it was a whole lot easier than it could have been, and I was reminded of the goodness of people, and the goodness of God. That again, often it is through other people that our prayers are answered. That night renewed my desire to be in tune with the spirit so I can be able to be an answer to other people's prayers.

1 comment:

Elise said...

You are a CHAMPION!!!!