Monday, June 16, 2014

Only a Dad

Only a dad with a tired face,
Coming home from the daily race,
Bringing little of gold or fame
To show how well he has played the game;
But glad in his heart that his own rejoice
To see him come and to hear his voice.

Only a dad with a brood of four,
One of ten million men or more
Plodding along in the daily strife,
Bearing the whips and the scorns of life,
With never a whimper of pain or hate,
For the sake of those who at home await.

Only a dad, neither rich nor proud,
Merely one of the surging crowd,
Toiling, striving from day to day,
Facing whatever may come his way,
Silent whenever the harsh condemn,
And bearing it all for the love of them.

Only a dad but he gives his all,
To smooth the way for his children small,
Doing with courage stern and grim
The deeds that his father did for him.
This is the line that for him I pen:
Only a dad, but the best of men.

-Edgar Guest


Sometimes we stay-at-home moms talk about the sacrifices we make, and how hard it might be to stay home every day with the kids, as if we're the only ones making a sacrifice. As if our husbands are the lucky ones because they get to leave every day. But one thing I'm sure I took for granted when I was growing up, but something I recognize more and more each year, is how much the dads of the world give up too. Theirs is a sacrifice of time with their families. Both equally give their time to their children, just in different ways. A while back, before we fell asleep Kenny says to me, "you know, you can send me pictures during the day of what you and the kids are doing. I check instagram like a dozen times to see if you posted anything." When he said that I realized how much he missed us during the day. I mean I knew he did, but I also figured he was too busy to really think much about us. While I know he is very busy, it doesn't mean his thoughts don't often drift toward his family. It hit me again how lucky I am to be home with the kids and watch every little moment of them growing up. I can't imagine a better way to spend my time. Kenny, like so many other fathers, willingly gives up that time with his kids not because he loves them any less, but because his role is to provide for his family. And he does a marvelous job of that every day. I am so grateful for the father that he is. I'm honored to be the one to bear his children. It is seriously the highlight of the day when he comes home (if he's home before they're in bed). The kids really cherish their time with him, and it means so much to me that when he is home, he is present. He is so good at showing his love to his kids and making them feel so special.  
I appreciate my dad more every year too. He is one of the greatest men I've ever known and I feel so blessed to be his daughter and continue to learn from him all the time. I've never once questioned his priorities, I know that God comes first in his life and he does all he can to align his will with the Lord's. He is an amazing example to me. I know not everyone is blessed with great parents, but I was and I feel so lucky.

For father's day we made a yummy breakfast of bacon, eggs, and homemade blueberry muffins. We presented him with a candy poster, and a "book" (just a stapled compilation) of some cute papers the kids did. They each drew him a picture/wrote a note, and had their handprint on another page, and answered some questions about their dad. They also gave daddy a soft bat and a few new whiffle balls so he can play baseball with them. After church we had the Westons and the Sponsellers over for dinner. Kenny grilled us some delicious steaks and we enjoyed the company so much. It was a really fun evening spent with others we love.
(I'll add some pictures later)

1 comment:

Elise said...

Such a sweet poem! Thanks for posting it!