Sunday, November 29, 2015

Thanksgiving

We may be far away from most of our family, but we feel very blessed to have the family that we do, clear up here in Alaska. Kenny's brother Andy and his family live in Anchorage, and my cousin Carmin also lives in Anchorage. We're very close with both families and absolutely loved having them all here for a Thanksgiving feast. Andy and Shalee came on Wednesday night and stayed a couple nights, leaving Friday morning after breakfast. The kids were in heaven with so many cousins to play with. After the big meal they even acted out a play for us that they wrote, directed, and organized 100% on their own. They even had a tech guy, David, in charge of the lights. He would turn the lights off in between all the scenes as they changed props and actors. It was hilarious. Kenny recorded the whole thing on his phone which I was so glad about. 

My heart is very full and we have so very much to be thankful for. God is so good to us and pours out bounteous blessings that I certainly don't deserve. We did our thankful tree this month, but I don't think I did a very good job this year of teaching/stressing the importance of the "Thanksgiving story" and the origins of this great country. I was too concerned with cleaning the home in preparation, and should've been more focused on the reason for the holiday. I'll do better next year. I did have the kids memorize a couple of poems this past month (and part of October too) that have been fun. I'll write them at the end to remember what they did, and in case anyone else is wanting a good poem for their own kids to recite.









Poems:

Be Thankful

Be thankful for the morning sun that makes your soul delight,
Be thankful for the countless stars that glorify the night.
Be thankful for the smell of spring and each new baby sound,
Be thankful for the crisp new snow that warms the frozen ground.
Be thankful for the breath of life that gave us mortal birth,
Be thankful for the countless things that bless us here on earth.
Be thankful for the living God and for His blessed Son,
Be thankful, oh! be thankful, for all that they have done.


Mr. Turkey

Good morning Mr. Turkey, I've come to talk to you.
But you're so big and gobbly! You kind of scare me too.
I have something to tell you, that I think you'd like to hear,
It's just like this, Mr. Turkey, Thanksgiving's awfully near.
It surely comes tomorrow, that's what my mother said
And if you're here tomorrow, Mr. Turkey you'll be dead!
It makes me feel real sorry, what I heard my mother say
So I came right out to tell you, "MR. TURKEY RUN AWAY!"

No comments: