Friday, July 13, 2012

4th of July

Independence Day came and went without much of a hoorah. In fact, it was somewhat depressing how uneventful it was. Kenny was gone fishing with his family on Mon-Wed. (more on that later) so they didn't get back until 6:00 that night, in time for dinner and a few poppers--because fireworks are illegal here. Go figure, they have no restrictions on carrying firearms, but fireworks?? Out of the question.

It hit me as I was doing laundry and cleaning bathrooms just like it was any other day of the year, that I am still pretty lonely here. I was aching to be with my family for the reunion in Utah. I wanted to go to the hot air balloon show, or the freedom run, the parade, and have a barbecue with so many people I couldn't even talk to them all. I wanted to eat popsicles and wipe sweat off my head because it's July, and it should be hot! Maybe go swimming and get a tan line. I wanted to see fireworks and do all the other fun traditions that used to be my 4th of July. Yet I was here in 55 degree weather, alone in Alaska. My adjustment to living here has been slower than any other place we've lived, but it's getting there. I told Kenny once he got back that I will be happy here. I believe you can choose to be happy, so I will make this a good experience for myself and my family. But this will never be home.

The day wasn't a total downer. I still wanted to do some fun things to make it good for the kids. I blew up some red, white, and blue (plus a few pink) balloons to celebrate America's birthday. My kiddos get excited about any birthday :). We talked about the significance of this day and what it means to us. We made a flag fruit pizza and colored some flags too.
I really do have such a love for this great nation and I feel so blessed to be an American!



2 comments:

Cam said...

I love that Ty is saluting in that last pic. You're amazing Linds! We should have had a non-reunion reunion on skype for all of us who weren't there in Utah. Hang in there. Love you!

Charity said...

Oh I am so with you! I was really missing the reunion, Fireworks, pancake breakfast in the park, but most of all family and friends. But way to go on making it meaningful for your kids anyway! In your last post about the Glacier, you are more humble than you think because you were able to admit all that. I am embarrassed to say that it all sounded much too familure to me. You could have been talking all about me and not been off, but hey we are working on it, right? I'm just so impressed that you did ALL that in one day! I thought it was spread over many days, you are such a go getter and I'm impressed with all you do!