Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The End of an Era



Well we did it. We qualified as the worst parents ever and got rid of our dog, Jake. We had tried selling him before, with an ad on Craigslist. But he was just so mean to people that came to see him, that nobody wanted him! But we just couldn't do it anymore. For a number of reasons, he had to go. It was pure heartbreak for my little boy, and I started crying every time I looked at him. It was (is) a very real loss for him. Jake was his best buddy. Once Kenny left with him, I just held Tyler and let him cry for a while. He said that even though he understood, he was still really sad. I've never felt so awful. Because I know that if I was an animal loving woman, he would have stayed. If I loved dogs and felt like all the extra money and work was worth it, we could have kept him. I apologized to Tyler and took full responsibility, I just can't do it anymore. I tried really hard for 9 months to be a dog person. But oh the extra stress and work is just not worth it. Maybe if the kids were older, or maybe if we didn't live in Alaska and could have an outside dog, or maybe a dog that was kinder to our own children and other people, or maybe a dog that didn't shed SOO badly, or maybe a million other things. But the point is, it wasn't working. I have to admit that I haven't missed him for a single minute. It's been very nice having that huge weight lifted off me. I know a lot of people will judge me (us) for this decision, but please not too harshly.
(We tried to get a picture of Jake with the girls, but he wouldn't stay by them. He only liked Tyler.)

A few other unrelated things...

Here's a funny capture of Kelsey pouting. Oh the attitude!!!

 We had a few more passes to use up at the gymnastics open gym before we move. That's Madison in mid-air :).

Also Madi stylin at dinner the other night

We enjoyed seeing the lunar eclipse a couple nights ago. It wasn't hard for us to see it because it was only 11 p.m. Pretty cool stuff

2 comments:

Stacey said...

I wouldn't feel too bad if I were you. Tyler will be sad for awhile, but eventually he'll only have happy memories about it all and I feel the exact same as you - I'm just not really a dog person. Or an animal person at all I guess. I remember growing up, I always felt SO bad for kids that weren't allowed to have animals, but now, I don't want them at all! I love animals….from a distance.

Elise said...

Don't feel guilty for a second! You have to do what's best for your family, and if a dog doesn't fit, it doesn't fit!