Thursday, July 9, 2009

You want something done right, you've got to do it yourself!

This morning I decided to take matters into my own hands. I am so sick and tired of having a billion projects and "to do" lists that I put off until Kenny can be home to help me do them. The list will never get done! Not because Kenny is lazy or anything. He actually helps a ton when he's home. But Saturday is a very short day compared to all the projects we've got to do. Not only that, but we've got a lot of playing to do!! There's so much to go do and see when you move to a new place. We would love to discover more of St. Louis, Chicago, Nauvoo, and other places around here. Because I believe that cities, like people, have different characters and you've got to get to know them.

So I decided to suck it up and take on things myself. This morning was the garage. I had to start with the garage because my hypocritical lifestyle was wearing on me. You see I am a firm believer that garages should be used to park your cars in, not as junk houses. Yet here we were with two cars, and a nice 2-car garage, and we never put both cars in. This is no longer the case.

I forgot to take a before picture, but here's the after:


I just lied to you. I totally thought about taking a "before" picture, but decided against it. Not only was it very embarrassing, but I'm sure my mother would have come right over (walking the whole way if she had to) with pine sol and rubber gloves in hand, to remedy any of my other housekeeping (and now garage-keeping) flaws that her grandchildren might be subject to. Just kiddin, mom :). It was atrocious though.
I organized our bins/boxes, destroyed hundreds of spider webs, killed a plethera of spiders, and swept up mass quantities of dead flies. GROSS! And before you go accusing me of being a pack-rat because of all those bins and boxes stacked in nice rows, I will quickly tell you that I am not. In fact, I am very good at throwing things away, just ask Kenny. We just have to keep some stuff that doesn't go in the house; maternity clothes, boy clothes from 0-24 months, baby girl clothes are also quickly piling up as Brynlee grows, childhood bins of mine and Kenny's with who knows what in it, and of course textbooks and binders from college that we can't yet part with.
I feel good to have that taken care of. Now So go ahead, Kenny, park your car in our clean garage. I saved a spot just for you.
And I need a new broom.

4 comments:

Ben, Charlotte, Troy, and Liam said...

Way to go girl. Tackling a garage by yourself. That's pretty amazing when you have two kids and heavy things to move.

Elise said...

You go woman! One of the benefits of not having a garage is not having to clean it out...that's my consolation right now :).

P.S. My parents' garage has never looked worse. I don't know how much you've seen it, but it is loaded to the brim with a bunch of crap that they are never going to use. Pathetic. I'm up for burning it all.

Wii are the Nelsons said...

How did you do that with 2 kids!? You're amazing. I've finally just finished my scrapbook area after several weeks

Shelley said...

Wow Lindsey! That is a big accomplishment. I would have waited till Matt got home! Seriously impressed!