Sunday, July 10, 2011

Swimming

I need to write about this evening before I forget. It's not a night I ever want to forget. A couple days before we left Houston, we went to the pool for an evening swim. We had already been earlier that day and tried to get Tyler to swim without his floaties again to practice, but he wouldn't. He was very resistent to the idea and so I let it go. Later that night we went back with Kenny and my parents. Kenny got Brynlee to take her floaties off and practice swimming without them. That's not even a big deal for Bryn in the fear department; I don't think she even understands what she should be afraid of, if that makes sense. She looked so cute! She stays just barely under water the whole time, and keeps her little eyes open under water (without goggles unfortunately), and just kicks her feet as fast as she can. That girl is fearless, and so adorable.

Tyler watches her swim back and forth from Kenny to the wall, and can't take it anymore. He made up his mind that he was going to swim, and Bryn--his younger sister--wasn't going to out perform him. So off came the floaties and he just went at it. HE WAS AMAZING! He was swimming, like full on swimming! He had a good stroke, and was kicking hard and could move pretty fast! I was just so so proud of him! I was like bursting at the seams, and it just kept getting better. His confidence grew as he realized what he could do. He kept swimming farther and farther. Then he decided he could go off the diving board. So my dad got in the water with him and he would jump off and swim right to my dad. Eventually my dad got out and he would swim all the way to the wall to get out. Then he did tricks off the diving board. Then he learned how to come up for breaths, and keep swimming again.

It was such an incredible feeling watching him get so much confidence and joy as he just quickly progressed from one thing to the next. Tyler is a very cautious boy, by nature, and has always been scared of lots of different things. So for him to go and do those things, to really conquer those fears was just so fun to watch. I love being a parent. Being a mom is the best job in the world.

4 comments:

Wii are the Nelsons said...

Yeah Tyler! That's amazing. I love Mommy moments like that, that tugs at your heart amazed at their growth and sad at how big they're getting.

Cam said...

HE DID IT!!!!! I had a feeling he wouldn't wait until he's a dad, like he said to me. I wish I could have seen it!!

Caitlin said...

way to go, tyler! how cute!

Shelley said...

I may have been a little emotional when I read this because I cried a little. :) What a brave kid! I can see why you were overjoyed as his mother. I miss you guys!