Sunday, July 31, 2011

Family Cheer

For our first family home evening in our new home a couple weeks ago, I gave the lesson. I read the story in this conference talk by Richard J. Maynes. He quotes a story about a little boy that likes to go roping with his dad. I had some rope that the kids held and unraveled to show the individual strands that make up a rope. We talked about their analogy of a rope being like a family. Then I introduced our new family cheer. So now, every night after family scriptures and prayers we chant 3 times,

"We are the Westons and we are strong!"

The kids absolutely LOVE this part of the evening and are pumping their fists and flexing their muscles like crazy. We talked about how we are not just strong in our muscles, but we want to be strong in faith, strong in our love for each other, strong in our unity, testimonies, etc. That little phrase means a lot to our little family. Sometimes I hear the kids saying it randomly during the day.

My major at BYU-Idaho was University Studies. That's obviously nothing to brag about, and not very interesting at all for conversation-making, but I loved it. I had to pick 2 minors, and I did Home and Family Living and Marriage and Family Studies. So basically I went to school to be a mom, because that's all I've ever wanted to do anyway. But anyway, we talked a lot during these family classes about how family traditions can be so important because it gives the children a tightly-knit system that they're apart of. It helps create consistency and they have a life where they know what to expect at certain times. Not just Christmas traditions, but even nightly traditions like reading books together and singing a song before bed, or whatever it is. It provides that stable environment that gives them security.

I just wanted to share a little idea that's been a lot of fun for all of us, not just the kids. Ours is very simple, but it's ours, and that's what matters.

5 comments:

Carly said...

That's awesome Lindsay!! You are such an inspiration to me! :)

Caitlin said...

you are awesome! thanks for sharing!

Shelley said...

Can I just say...you are so awesome for getting a degree and University Studies is perfect! I think it makes perfectly good conversation. I just love reading your blog.

Mom and Sarah said...

Lindsay...that is EVERYTHING to brag about! It is exactly what I did also. 30 years later mine ended up being a "General Studies" degree with emphasis in Family Living. It will serve you well the rest of your life, as it clearly is now. You are an amazing mom on so many different levels...your kids (and Kenny) are so lucky. I would do many things so differently, but alas also realize that you learn by doing. Just know that those very, very long days and nights do not last forever. Glad to know you're enjoying your new area. By the way, your family here in Katy is amazing. Your dad set me apart in my new calling yesterday. It was just what I needed to hear. 2 of your sisters bore their testimonies yesterday, too. Amazing insights. They even sound like you! Was fun to hear. Have a great day and hug those kids!
Love, Lisa

Kimberly said...

Linds thanks so much for sharing this. What a neat idea. I'll be thinking of our own family cheer!