Sunday, August 26, 2012

Flattop Mountain

Friday was a good day. Kenny was supposed to be home from work. He's technically supposed to have every other Friday off, but he very rarely gets to take that. And when he does, he goes fishing :) but that's besides the point. So anyway, he at least came home early. I wanted to go camping or something crazy like that, but we settled on a hike instead. I've been wanting to hike flattop mountain for quite a while, but I had heard it was a little too hard for little legs. But we weren't going to do the whole mountain, I just wanted to get to the blueberries. I'd never just hiked a mountain and picked blueberries that grew wild before, so I was excited about it. We packed a backpack with diapers, snacks, and water and headed out. Turns out, it's a lot colder up there than it is down here in Anchorage. It was also raining there off and on. But despite the cold, wind, and rain, we didn't let it set us back :). The berries were picked pretty clean (as we had suspected) but it was still a lot of fun. The view was absolutely gorgeous, and the kids did awesome. I carried Kelsey in the baby carrier and Kenny carried Madison on his shoulders, and wore the backpack. Going up was a lot more fun than going down. More crying, falling, and the cold was catching up with us. But we made it and everyone was glad we went.  
 
These trees were so cool looking. They were all growing out in crazy different directions. On the way back down they made for some nice shelter where we stopped to eat sandwiches and take a break.
 
When we got up here I broke out into song from Sound of Music..."Climb every mountain!!..." I just can't get over how beautiful it is here. I LOVE these massive mountains.
 
 
 
 
Our massive load of blueberries :) Had it been warmer we would've stayed longer and picked more.
 
I love this picture because when I stare at it long enough, it's hard to tell where the sky ends and the water begins.
 

No comments: