Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Rear Window(s)

Back in February when we moved here, we were living in a temporary, little, vacation rental. On the rare occassion that Kenny didn't come home late, we would set up appointments to go see different houses, trying to get moved in before the baby came (haha). To be honest nothing appealed to us, and frankly it was hard to think anything looked good because we could hardly see the houses there was sooo much snow. But when we came in this house, she took us upstairs and we beheld these two very large windows.
 It was the most magnificent view! It almost made me forget how much I hated the winter, because it looked so pretty out those windows. We looked at each other and said, yes, please!

Since then we have never tired of our view. We comment on it almost daily, and take dozens and dozens of pictures. You'd think we would get used to it, but I don't think we ever will. It is just awesome, no matter what time of day or night.

If I were a good photographer, there would not be a blinding light, and you'd be able to see the full moon rising over the snow-capped mountains.
 
Also the moon, another time


The sunset made these trees look like they were on fire!
 
 A week or two ago I was teaching the kids at the table, when all of the sudden I looked outside and gasped. It looked like someone had thrown glitter on the frost and it was so unbelievably cool! I have never seen anything like it. I grabbed the camera and snapped some pictures, but wasn't satisfied that it was catching it. I went downstairs and outside, only to see my next door neighbors also outside trying to take pictures of the same thing. He said, "do you see that rainbow in the frost?" I wouldn't have known to call it a rainbow, but I guess that's what it was. It's so hard to see in the picture above. We played with the colors to try to bring it out, so we could tell better where it was. Trust me, it was amazing.

The sun rising over the mountains through the very thick fog

Another gorgeous sunrise

Rainbows!!
 
Okay, so this is actually out my front window in our bedroom. But it was so cool I had to throw it in.
 
 I love, love, love our view from the rear windows. The reason there are no houses behind us, is because it's Fort Richardson. The Army uses it for trainings and stuff. So not only is it a great view, but we get a lot of wildlife! Tyler is always identifying various kinds of birds, there's a lot of moose, and bears (though we've only seen them twice). We often hear random gunshots, and there's a whole lot of airplanes and helicopters to observe. These windows provide a lot of entertainment. We couldn't have chosen a better location.

1 comment:

Cam said...

Such cool pictures! Pretty soon you'll be taking them for National Geographic or something.