Saturday, March 1, 2014

Ice Sledding at Kincaid Park

We have tried a few different places to go sledding, but with no luck. The usual hills are in elementary schools and high schools, etc. which makes it hard for us homeschoolers to get in on the fun during the week. Today marked the end of my babysitting (more on that later). But we were free to be just us once again and couldn't pass up the WARM weather that swept in this week. My goodness when it's above freezing (Hello 40 degrees!) and things start to melt we just can't stay inside. I've been wanting to go to Kincaid Park for a while, but we've just never made it over there. Today was the right time. We were a little bummed when we got there and realized how much snow had melted. If you're familiar with Anchorage, you realize how crazy this is to be in February and have so little snow. Instead we were greeted by a giant hill of ice. One old lady visiting from Washington was standing near us (and took a picture of my children for some reason...). When Tyler asked me if we could try it anyway, she remarked that it looked too dangerous and if she were the mother, she wouldn't let her kids do it. I waited a few minutes until she left, then we went and got our sleds. :) Hopefully she wasn't offended. But holy cow we had such a blast! It was hilariously fun and slippery. No one was injured (though there were lots of falls) and we had a blast. I'm so glad we went today. And I love that we always have everything to ourselves because the rest of the world is in school and at work. It's quite nice.

If you look hard you can see a small snowman way down at the bottom in the back of the picture (past the dog). I reached that point when I slid down with Kelsey thanks to my extra weight. :) Seriously we just kept going and going!


Brynlee going down first

 This man, dressed as a moose, came out to say hi to the kids. He grabbed a sled and was friendly enough to go down with them. They thought it was so neat when he gave them each a "high 5" at the end (below). Not sure what that was all about, but it made them smile.

It was also fun for Kelsey to see dozens of airplanes continually taking off and landing at the nearby airport.

T & B


I promise Kelsey and I went down several times as well, it's just not pictured. She LOVED it and also enjoyed the ride back up. I would plop her back in the sled and pull her up the hill. We ended up taking off the head sock because it was warm enough without it.

T & M

This mountain was just beautiful. It was reflecting in the ocean (which is obviously at low tide) and I just never get over how gorgeous and huge all the mountains are.

No comments: