Saturday, April 18, 2009

Airplane got me thinking

I am so glad to be back home and have both of my kids with me. But I still hate having Kenny gone. He's moving into our new house today and I'm so jealous! I hope he paints our bedroom and does some yard work before we get there! I know, I know, a girl can dream, right? :) I think Tyler did miss me after all. He keeps handing me his blanket and saying "Ty hold you". which means he wants me to hold him. He also likes being back in his own bed I think, because he's going on 3 hours for his nap.

It has been raining all day and will not let up. I really need to go to the store, but it's very difficult to do it in the pouring rain! Even if it was just a light drizzle I wouldn't mind. But it's really coming down. I might just do it anyway. I can't make anything to eat because of a lack of food, and I can't pack any more because I used up all the tape.

The trip home went so well. Brynlee was an absolute angel and slept through BOTH plane rides. I fed her on the way to the airport, then in between flights during the layover, then after we got off. Unfortunately she's been not so great ever since we got home. But that's ok.

I liked being able to travel with just Brynlee because it helped me realize some things. First of all, capability grows with experience. For example the first time I flew by myself on an airplane with Ty when he was 6 wks. old, it was the most stressful thing in the world at that time. And right after Bryn was born I just thought I would never go out in public with the two of them without help. But now it's no big deal (most of the time, ha). What I'm trying to say is that we adapt to what we have to. Our capacities increase as we are faced with new situations or trials. The other day I was talking to my sister, Steph. She amazes me because her husband is gone like a third of the month--every month. So she's got two little kids almost 16 months apart and she handles it all like a champ. We were on the phone talking about how it's hard when people say to "know your limits" because your limits are constantly changing. You don't know what you can handle until you're faced with it and you have to figure it all out, and Heavenly Father gives you added strength, as needed. So whenever people say, "oh I could never do that" about whatever it is, I just want to say YES YOU CAN! You've just never had to before.

Second thought: For the most part, people are good, especially on an individual level. So many people kept offering to help at the airport. Lots of kind older gentleman offered to carry a bag, or asked if I needed any help, etc. One old man that sat next to me took my cookies that they passed out on the plane and opened them for me. Then he picked up all my trash on my tray without me asking him to do either. Even the homosexual flight attendant on one of the flights just loved Bryn and couldn't help but comment on her matching red with white polka dot dress and shoes that was "just faaabulouss" :). He even gave her a "First Flight Certificate"; did you know they had those? I sure didn't. It reminded me of the first time I flew with Tyler and a lady kneeled down and tied my shoes for me after I went through security. It was kind of embarrassing, but SO sweet of her. It made me want to be more aware of those around me and help out where I can.

2 comments:

Elise said...

Thank you so much for writing that. It was just what I needed to hear!

Wii are the Nelsons said...

Thanks for sharing that; that's a great reminder....sometimes I wonder what it would be like when I have more kids.
I 'm so jealous that Brynlee got a First Flight Certificate....I wish James got one.....maybe I'll have to make him one =D