Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Team Kendsay

Disclaimer: I am about to brag about my husband. If you think it's cheesy or annoying, then don't read it. But right now I just can't help it.

I believe in marriage. One of the reasons is that you always have a partner, a teammate, someone you can always count on. I don't know what I did to get so lucky, but I am sure glad that Kenny is my partner. Of course we have our problems to work through, but we make a pretty dang good team.

Last night as I drove to the gym, I was thinking about how lucky I am to have Kenny. The last few weeks we've got a pretty good system worked out. Every morning he wakes up at 4:30, or 4:45 and goes to the gym. He works out hard, then he goes to his job and works hard there to support our family so I can stay home. He comes home at 6 in time for dinner. I clean up while he plays with the kids (or bathes them depending on the day). We have scriptures (and FHE if it's Mon.) and I feed Brynlee. Then I leave and go to the gym (usually by 7), and he plays with the kids and then puts them to bed. I LOVE this system. Pros: It keeps me from eating a big dinner and avoids all my late-night snacking. Kenny gets some one-on-one time with the kiddos which they all need. Also I get some "me time" every day for an 1 to 1 1/2 hours which is SOO nice. No matter what kind of a day it's been I always know I can de-stress and unwind and take out any extra emotions on the treadmill or bike. The only negative side to this is we don't get as much time together. But we have both found that we're much happier and better people when we exercise consistently. So that's what works for us, for now. But I am so grateful that Kenny takes so much on so that I can go work out because he knows that's what makes me happy.

When we found out we were expecting Tyler, I think I just figured I would go to school until the baby was born, then I would stop and let Kenny finish. He had something else in mind. He encouraged me to go ahead and finish what I started, and get my degree. I will tell you it wasn't easy (whoever said it should be?) being sick and pregnant during school, and obviously a whole new world of challenge once Tyler joined our family. Lots of times I didn't want to finish, but Kenny was always there to remind me of our goal and pick up any extra slack to help me get there. He knew that ultimately it would be rewarding and make me a happier and better person. We were completely broke, but we were happy. And when we did graduate, 32 weeks pregnant with our second child, I realized how right Kenny was. It was, and is so great to have done that. I am certainly not saying that every couple has to both get their bachelors degrees to show their love for each other. Obviously everyone's situations are so different. I'm just saying that for us, it's awesome to have those few rough years of experience to start our marriage off with. We look back on that and say man that was tough, but we did it, and we did it together. We make sacrifices for each other, and know we can work through everything together.

Kenny just helps me to dream things that I never even dreamed for myself. I think that's how it should be. He helps me push myself and expect more from myself, and helps me to understand what it means to be equal partners. It's humbling to be loved so much by this man, and it makes me grateful every day that I have him.

1 comment:

Ben, Charlotte, Troy, and Liam said...

You make me want to cry of happiness. You guys are the cutest family and you are lucky to have each other for sure. We will definitely be here when you come to Utah, so I will make sure we see you :)