Saturday, September 22, 2012

Exploring on Friday

It was yucky weather all week. Gray skies, lots of rain every day, flooding, really strong wind storms, more power outages, etc. We all had colds too; runny noses like leaky faucets, dry coughing, and don't forget Kelsey teething.
BUT, on Friday morning the sun came out making all those left-over rain droplets look like sparkling little gifts from heaven. And all of the sudden, the week didn't seem so bad.
 
 
Kenny only worked half-day. Then we got in the car with some peanut butter sandwiches and set off to enjoy the afternoon. We stopped at a random pull-over spot that looked really pretty and got out to explore. We were not disappointed.
 



 
Every year when I was younger, my family would drive from Texas to Utah for some sort of family vacation or reunion, or holiday or something. And every year I would wish and beg and plead with my dad to just stop and pull off the freeway so I could climb the rocks and the mountains. Something about it appealed so much to me. It looked so fun and inviting. Just to get out and see what there was, find out how high I could climb and how hard it really is. (Perhaps I was a pro rock climber in a former life??) Unfortunately, he never did stop. But on Friday, my husband made my childhood dreams come true :). We did get out and look around just for the heck of it and you can bet I scaled up (only a few feet) on those rocks :). My oldest daughter quickly followed my lead.

 



I love this fireweed that grows here. It's beautiful!!




We were having a grand old time exploring and taking way too many pictures, when this big friend showed up and ended the outing abruptly.
 Yeah, he was close. Totally freaked me out. I had walked back to the car with the 2 little girls and Kenny was still off with Ty and Bryn. I had been out there for a few minutes, changing a diaper and getting them in when I looked over and saw him. He looked right at me and I didn't know what to do. He was definitley within charging distance. I took a few steps, not daring to go any closer, and yelled "KENNY!! THERE'S A BEAR!!" Next thing I see is Kenny running out of the woods half lifting/half dragging Tyler and Brynlee, one in each hand. We all climbed in the van and shut the doors. The bear just went on eating and minding his own business. So we took some pictures of him now that we were safe :).

We also saw a bear just on the other side of our fence last week. I think it's so cool. Only while we live here in Alaska will we have experiences like this!
 
I just love this time of year. The colors are all so brilliant and everything looks so pretty in the fall. I love the deep greens against all the bright golds and yellows. I only wish it lasted a little longer. I vote that fall and winter switch places; shorter duration for the snow, longer for the pretty leaves :).

5 comments:

{ mr and mrs jp } said...

okay your kiddos are so big! ahh! it's crazy! how pretty, jealous of your adventure. love how you are living it up! miss you still!

Shelley said...

I love the bear stories! You guys live in such a beautiful place. I love all the pictures!

Carlee Ann said...

I am so glad you didn't get eaten by a bear! love the pictures! Alaska looks beautiful right now.

Elise said...

Move to North Carolina! Then your fall will last from September - December, winter will only be January and February, and Spring will come in March!

Kimberly said...

Your pictures are always breath taking. I can only imagine it's WAY better in person! Can't wait to visit there. I'm so impressed how good you are at keeping up on your blog.