Sunday, May 26, 2013

Camping at Kepler Park

Our first camping trip of the season!! I was really nervous about going with 4 little kids, and with good reason. In talking to my friend, I expressed my concern about sleeping. She was saying how I just can't expect a normal bedtime. I laughed because that was the last thing on my mind. Of course they weren't going to bed at 8:00, I just knew that Kelsey especially wasn't going to sleep at all! She is the only one of our children who hates sleeping with us. She will NOT fall asleep in our bed. She just only likes her own bed, and anywhere else is a big problem. Throw in really cold nights and only a couple hours of dark...I knew we were in for it. But the kids were all so excited! They each got their own sleeping bag and have their own camping chair, and they couldn't wait to build a fire :). Kenny got off work an hour or so early, we stopped and got a couple things--including my first ever fishing license!!! We also have a can of bear spray. I guess I'm officially an Alaskan now with those two things :). We tried to camp at Eklutna Lake, but we got their and the campground was full. Hello Memorial Day Weekend, and the first nice weekend in AK. So thankfully I had brought along our handy dandy 2013 Milepost book that has everything you need to know about Alaska. We found this family owned and operated campground a few more miles up the road. It was a great place for us! We had a great time and made some great memories. The kids did not want to leave, and are begging to go again next week. I'm still thinking about it.

The first camping trip with these little ones was definitely a learning experience, and we'll be more prepared next time. Kelsey did do horribly at night, as expected. I don't think we even lasted an hour in the tent. She fell asleep quickly because she was so exhausted, but she woke up screaming and wouldn't go back down. She and I spent the rest of that long, long night in the van. Everyone was too cold during the night, and my camping cooking skills have a lot of room for improvement. But we are bound and determined to be a camping family! :) I'm just lucky to have such an outdoors-loving husband who is good at it all, and is patient with me. I took far too many pictures so it's hard to only pick a couple.




He loves roasting his own hot dogs, and marshmallows, and anything else too

The only thing she will eat anytime, anywhere...Pirate's Booty. It is hand's down her most favorite thing to eat in the world. We gave her the whole big bag to herself so we could set up the tent without her climbing on top of everything.

Goin fishin



Caught one! (Rainbow Trout)



Her hair has a big funny lump because it got caught in the zipper while playing in the tent :). Typical Miss B.


Our humble abode


Caught another one! Sat. morning

 Kenny gave Tyler a chance to "help" him drive from the campsite, down to the parking lot and he felt like such a man! He loved it. Then of course Madison screamed until she got a turn in the parking lot. Poor Bryn still needs a turn to drive...maybe tomorrow :).


3 comments:

Kel said...

I can't believe how fast your kids are growing up! They are darling. I love reading about your family and all your adventures.

Charity said...

You are brave to take them all camping. Way to go at being determined to be a camping family- lots of my favorite memories are camping with the fam :)

Elise said...

You're still thinking about doing it again after a night like that?! You are a much more patient woman than I am...I tell Dan I don't camp with babies, so he takes the older kids by himself :).