Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Jake, Our First Family Dog

I'm not even sure when this whole thing got started, but somehow we ended up getting the cutest little puppy at the worst possible timing. My husband is an animal lover. He grew up with lots of pets and around lots of animals, he's very comfortable and good with them. I am not so much. I think they're really cute, and I like the idea of the kids learning more responsibility and having a playmate. But I don't like the added messes of them pooping and peeing and chewing and shedding and stinking. That's mostly what I see when I think of a pet--one more thing to clean up after. But knowing that we would be owning our own home (for the first time!!) we knew we would have the luxury of getting a dog if we wanted to.

The kids have been asking for a dog, or a cat, for a really long time. So one day I mentioned to Kenny one day (maybe I was bored I don't know) that we could maybe start looking for a puppy on craigslist or something, or see if any dogs would be having puppies soon. That must have been the green light he was waiting for because I think it was that very night he had set up a time to go see this little American Eskimo puppy. I was first of all shocked that it was so soon, and second of all hesitant because I know what happens when you actually go see and pet the puppies. It's different than reading about them online for sure. But he assured me that we were just looking at them and it would be fun for the kids, even good for them to be around dogs more. All but Kelsey were pretty leery of dogs up close.

We pull up to the house and 8 adorable, fluffy, little snowballs come running out the door and into the yard. I think it was pretty much over from there. Love at first sight. With all of them. Of course we would only pick one :). We went back once or twice a week to see our little puppy (who was originally named Scrappy, and had a very special place in the owner's heart). She wasn't going to even sell him because she liked him so much and wanted to keep him for breeding later down the road. But upon seeing our family, the number of kids we have and how crazy and loud they all are, she knew that his temperament would fit us best of all the litter. I was grateful for her discernment, that we would be getting a dog that could handle the chaos.

We wanted her to keep him until Sep. 1st, when we would be out of our house. At first that was the plan, but then she decided she didn't want to anymore, so we had to pick him up. So on Monday, Aug. 19th, after Kenny got off work, we went and picked up our cute little pup. And for 11 days, we kept him in a home where we knew we weren't supposed to have him. The first few days we kept him in the house to help him get used to us and his new surroundings. But then I ran out of carpet cleaner and just couldn't monitor him while I was busy packing and getting ready to move. So I moved him to the garage and he stayed there until we moved. One night the landlords wanted to show the house again. So we loaded Jake and his kennel, and all the dog evidence into the van and I left with him and the kids. I took the kids to a movie (Despicable Me 2) and left him in the car. I did it so that we wouldn't be in the way, and so they wouldn't know we had a dog. We are such rule-breakers! I did feel bad, but didn't really know what else to do about it.

Kenny and I both had agreed that it was such a stupid idea for us to get a dog right before/as we were moving. We should have just waited to start looking after we moved into our house. But, since we have been out to Wasilla, I have been so glad we have him, because he helps to entertain the kids. They love having him around to play with and go on adventures outside with, too. He really is a good dog, and I'm glad he's part of our family.

The funniest part for me, has been to watch Kenny with him! I had no idea how much HE would love it. He plays with him so much in the evenings when he's home, frequently gives him baths and even dries his fur with my blow-dryer!! He buys him special doggy treats and brushes his fur. He lets him lay in his lap like a little baby and everything. Jake just loves him and pees every time Kenny comes home because he's so excited! haha it's funny and annoying at the same time :).
Madison is the only one who isn't crazy about him. She's still very nervous and doesn't really like him to come too close. I'm sure that will change with time.

Kelsey is really funny too because she just bugs him to death! Especially when we first got him, I knew it would be a learning process because she was already so obsessed with dogs. She would try to sit on him, poke his eyes, pull his fur, grab his tail, wake him up every time he slept, eat his dog food, splash in his water bowl, etc. etc. It's been a challenge, for sure. OH, and she's starting chewing on a lot more stuff, just like Jake does. Sometimes even his chew toys, which is totally disgusting. It is adorable to hear her get so excited and say "Hi Jay! Hi Jay!" (She doesn't really finish the end of her words.)

I've got lots of cute pictures of him and the kids, but I'll have to add them all later. I think even with the extra work, it's fun to have a family dog and we're all glad he's here.

No comments: