Wednesday, September 11, 2013

My New Motto

I've been pretty stressed lately. When I get stressed I get snarky and short with my family. I lose my patience a lot quicker and I'm just not happy. I was thinking the other day on the drive from Anchorage to Wasilla, about what makes happy people happy. Aside from the regular and obvious things of choosing the right and staying close to the spirit of the Lord, I thought of the fact that they are able to let go of things they can't control. Like when our house will be done being built. I have absolutely no control over that. And it's been a very frustrating process. The thought came to me,

"Do your best then let go of the rest."

The other night I complained one too many times to Kenny, who has a lot more important matters at work to worry about. He kindly said some things that really put me in my place, and I needed to hear. I have some repenting to do for my poor attitude, and how I've let silly things get in the way of how I behave.
I was thinking about the children of Israel who ate manna every day in the wilderness. This was a miracle that God provided EVERY day for them. They never went hungry! At the same time, they were also used to eating much better food in Egypt. So it was kind of uncomfortable, maybe boring, but they never went hungry. I found myself in a comparable situation. We are currently homeless, but we've never gone without food or shelter, or even running water and electricity! Sure it's not what I'm used to, and it's not our perfect, ideal scenario. But we have never suffered. I need to do better at being grateful. I will try harder to do my best, no matter what the circumstances, and let go of the rest.

1 comment:

Charity said...

Wow, you've got a lot going on. I was sad we didn't get to see your family while we were both in Utah for weddings :( Busy, busy. I'm so sorry to hear about your miscarriage- I hope you got the help you needed (but didn't want). So where are you living? your house isn't done yet? how far away are these towns from each other and work etc. are you going to be in a new ward? Sounds like such a busy crazy time- you are a trooper.