Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Celebrating 8 Years!

Thursday, April 29th was our 8 year anniversary! What an adventurous 8 years it has been! I jotted down a timeline of our lives thus far. I'm going to include it here as a fun, quick record.

April 29, 2006: Wedding day! In the Timpanogos Temple in American Fork, UT. After 3 weeks rent free in my old house (my parents were trying to sell it so we just stayed there until it sold) we moved to our first little apartment in Clearfield, UT.
Sep. 2006: Moved to Rexburg, ID for school
Feb. 2007: Tyler was born!
March 2007: Moved from a duplex to a basement apartment still in Rexburg
Dec. 2008: We both graduate from BYU-Idaho and move to Houston, TX. Kenny starts his first job at URS
Feb. 2009: Brynlee was born
April 2009: URS moves us to Illinois
Dec. 2010: Madison Lynn is born
May 2011: Move back to Houston
July 2011: Once again move with URS to Cleveland, OH
Feb. 2012: Same company moves us to Anchorage, AK in temporary housing--3 weeks later Kelsey is born!
March 2012: Move into house (with a 4 day old baby)
November 2012: Kenny switches companies, now works for Udelhoven at BP
Aug. 2013: Miscarriage and move out of house
Oct. 2013: Move into new duplex. First time owning
April 2014: Move out of duplex into house in Wasilla

Whew! That's a lot of moving and babies :). We had a funny conversation as we were getting ready to pack up for this last move:
Kenny: Why are you always pregnant when we are moving?
Me: Why are we always moving?
K: I think the better question is, why are you always pregnant?
Me: Maybe we should settle down in both areas

I am truly grateful for an eternal marriage. I really love Kenny and the life we've built together. I feel like we are in a really good place right now. Things haven't always been smooth sailing, it's been tough at times. I was an immature 19 year old when we got married for heaven's sake! But regardless of how old you are when you get married, I think it's going to be hard. The struggle and beauty of marriage is that two very different people have to come together and overcome a lot of "natural man" tendencies (like selfishness) and put the other person first. It's where we learn to truly love and to develop those characteristics that will refine us and help us become celestial beings. I am so grateful that Kenny is willing to put up with me and my many flaws. He never gives up on me and loves me even when I'm rotten and awful to him. We have been through a lot together and I am excited for our future as well.  Plus, we make stinkin cute children if I do say so myself ;).

We weren't able to celebrate much this year, but that's okay. (Hawaii last year more than makes up for it!)
Tyler, being the avid holiday-celebrator that he is, made us a couple darling signs, then had the girls color on a cardboard moving box (we have a lot of those) for us too. Kenny didn't get home till around 8, but I let the kids stay up late and eat chocolate cake and celebrate with us.



My gift to Kenny 

Kenny also brought home 2 dozen roses. I guess because one just wouldn't be enough for this man :)


1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Happy 8 years to an incredible couple!!