Friday, September 10, 2010

Bryn's Boot/Kenny's Birthday

Wednesday, September 8th

So remember how I said before that Brynlee hurt her foot/ankle? Well it wasn't getting any better. They had said to call back on Tuesday if she wasn't improving. So that's what I did. They think she has what they call a "toddler fracture", (a tibia/fibula fracture) which doesn't usually show up until after the new bone grows in a few weeks later. So they told us to come in and they'd cast it for her. I felt SO much better about that. Now she will heal properly, and without so much pain walking around. So Wednesday morning was very long. The Children's Hospital was too busy to see us that day so we headed down to an orthopedics place that's clear out in Charleston, MO, past our temple. So it was a good hour away. Just me and the kids. They re-did the x-rays to make sure the other people hadn't missed something. Still no visible fracture, but they said it didn't matter--she was getting the boot anyway. Brynlee hated the x-rays this time since I couldn't go with her again (because I'm pregnant). But she was an angel for when they were actually putting on the boot and just sat real still. The first few hours after we got home she wasn't sure what to do with it. She tried to take it off a lot and would cry about it and roll around on the floor, or crawl, and it broke my heart. She kept saying"Off! Off!" But the wonderful thing about little kids is they are extremely adaptable and she figured it all out in no time at all. It hasn't slowed her down much and she still climbs things with the boot--she obviously didn't learn anything from this experience haha. As sad as it is to say this, she sure looks cute in it!



Wednesday was also Kenny's 27th birthday!! He requested chicken fettucine alfredo with asparagus and baby squash for dinner, and chocolate dream dessert instead of birthday cake.

No one gets more excited about a birthday than Mr. Tyler. He had so much fun helping me blow up balloons and wrap daddy's presents, and lick the spatulas as I made the dessert. Then he had even more fun when daddy let him blow out his candles and open his presents too! He loves birthdays and talks about his own on a regular basis.

Here's the kids helping Kenny blow out his candles over and over again. It's a Weston tradition that I swore we would not adopt. I think it's disgusting to have all that wax and spit covering the cake by the time you actually cut into it. But I'm afraid I don't get a say in this one. Kenny insists that it's the kids' favorite part so they re-light and blow out the candles several times. :)

The yummy chocolate dream dessert.
Dinner actually turned out to be a flop. Kenny works late a lot, but he said he would be home by 6:00. So I had dinner on the table and ready to be eaten at 6:00. I called Kenny and he still hadn't left the office, nor was he sure when he would be able to. I was crushed. I felt like I was working really hard to make everything a special day, and Brynlee cried a lot and wanted to be held the whole time I was cooking because she was frustrated about her boot. I was also missing my most favorite activity for RS of the year (volleyball) and I felt like he didn't care at all. Which, in part, is true because birthdays are a lot bigger deal to me than they are to him. Then the quote from Eliza R. Snow came back to me (that Sis. Beck repeated in her talk) about how women should be women and not babies who need petting and correction all the time. And how if we don't get all the thanks or attention we think we deserve, who cares? So I realized I was being a big selfish baby and that it was Kenny's birthday after all, not mine. So if he didn't care about re-heating his dinner, then neither should I. So I ate with the kids, not knowing how long it would be till he could come home. But thankfully he did make it home around 7 and we were able to have an enjoyable celebration for him.
I sure do love Kenny a lot and am grateful for everything he does for our family. He puts up with a lot from me, and I just think the world of him. Happy birthday sweetheart!

4 comments:

Ben, Charlotte, Troy, and Liam said...

Wow that making dinner with Bryn crying and Kenny coming late is SO familiar. Thanks for the good attitude about. I'll adopt it :) You're awesome.

Charity said...

I love this post. That same quote is one that hit me too...all too often I need to remember it and have a little attitude adjustment. I'm feeling your pain on that one though. Somehow I thought that when Jordan got a real job he would leave by 5 and we could always have dinner as a family. Maybe one day when he moves up in a company? Until then...I need to follow your example :)

Wii are the Nelsons said...

Glad that Kenny had a good birthday and is good about sharing it with his kids =D
That dream dessert looks so yummy! I would love the recipe!
Glad that Bryn was able to get a cast to heal better and move around better.

Tina Braegger said...

aw Bryn sure does look cute in that Boot! Hopefully she feels better about it soon. That would be hard to try to explain to her that she needs to keep it on. Olivia would hate it! haha!
Happy Birthday Kenny!! That is so nice that you made him dinner and had it all ready. tyrell is the exact same way and thinks that birthdays are not as big of a deal as I do so it is always a constant argument ;)
I am very impressed that quotes come to your mind though..I need to practice that skill instead of getting mad.
And yes! You should post the recipe of that cake! YUMM! Looks so good!