Monday, October 25, 2010

Too much time on my hands

During our spontaneous 10-day vacation in Houston, I had a lot of extra time on my hands. I didn't have a house to clean, no activities or appointments to attend, no friends to get together with, and I wasn't even the only one around to entertain my kids. So needless to say, I had to find things to do. I took the opportunity to do two of my favorite things, read and sew. I brought down a few things for my mom to quilt...projects I've had forever and needed to finally finish. It was most productive.
Sewing:
The first thing I did, I don't have a picture of. One of my best friends from high school, Melissa, just had twin boys. So I did some hooded towels for them. I sewed on some cute rick rack, and I took advantage of my mom's embroidery machine and did their names on the towels.
I also made a baby quilt for my little girl from start to finish. (Except for the binding I did here.) The line of fabric is called Bliss, and I think it turned out pretty cute. My mom did a great job quilting it.
This fall table runner I had made here, but again my mom quilted it.
This quilt I made back in...oh 2007?? It's been a while. I just never finished it. I couldn't find a back for it that matched for so long. But we went to a cute shop an hour away called "It's a Stitch" and they solved all my problems :). And I know it's another pinwheel quilt, but oh well. This was the first piecing quilt I'd ever made, and I love it.
Here's the back since it took so long to find, I gotta throw it in there. Again, great job on the quilting Mom!!

These last two blankets I didn't do in Houston, but I might as well throw them up there since they're recent projects. They're both baby blankets with flannel on one side and minky on the other. The purple one is for a friend, the white one is for my baby. They are so soft.

Reading: I read my first John Grisham book. My dad has like every book of his, so I decided I might as well give him a try and I read Kid Lawyer. I also got through Hunger Games and Catching Fire. I have since finished the series with Mockingjay since I've been home. I think I was the last person on the earth to read them, and I really enjoyed them. As in, I couldn't put them down. I am making Kenny read them now too, and although he may never admit it--he loves them too.

4 comments:

Cam said...

Way to go, Linds! Those quilts are all adorable.

Caitlin said...

awesome! all of your projects turn out so cute!

and i haven't read the hunger games either. i'm on a waiting list at the library...number 97....haha!

Carly said...

at this point i think i would hurt several small children if it meant i could have too much time on my hands... hahaha okay i won't go that far. :)
i haven't read hunger games either!! all my friends are like WHAT?! LAME! haha ;)
your quilts are gorgeous linds, i am a wee bit inspired. :) i'll have to post my sewing project, you will crack up at my mad stitchin skillz... or lack thereof, lol :)

Shalee and Andy Weston said...

Oh how I am jealous of your abundant amount of time and amazing talents! I love the projects Linds! They look awesome!