Saturday, April 23, 2011

Deets

A lot of people have asked me about our situation--Kenny's job/moving/etc. I realize I have not been very clear about the whole thing. So here's some details...



Kenny works for URS, and he got hired on in Houston, Texas. That is what we call our "home office". After moving to Houston and him working there for 3 months, we got transfered temporarily out here on a project. They were upgrading a huge refinery in Wood River, IL. Kenny is part of project controls, and mainly did scheduling, and cost stuff. We knew it would be temporary when we moved out here, they told us 18 months. Then as we were here, they said we would be leaving at the end of August. Then it got pushed back to September, then December. For a while I was really stressed that we would be moving the same month that I was having a baby. I wasn't thrilled about it, especially knowing how this company works sooo last minute. Anyway, then they extended us out to May 2011, and then finally pushed it back up to April. And now we are leaving. We have been waiting to hear the next project we could go on. There was one in Idaho Falls that was supposed to happen, and we both got our hearts set on it so much, thrilled at the thought of living by family again. But they postponed that for another year, and they currently don't have anywhere to place him. So on Friday, the 29th, we are headed back to Houston. We are going to stay with my parents for a couple weeks until we have a better idea of how long we will be there. We may quickly get sent out somewhere else, or stay in Houston for a while. We shall see. It is very unpredictable, and causes me a lot of stress. But we are very grateful to have a job, a great job at that.


I need to be clear, it's not the moving around that I mind. In fact I love moving. My whole growing up was spent moving around all over the world, so I think that's why I get a little restless when I'm somewhere for too long. I love the change, and the fresh start. Meeting new people, learning new things, seeing new places and gaining new experiences. It's really fun. It is always sad to say goodbye to friends, but the most important people are coming with me and living under my same roof, so that's all that matters. I just wish we had more of a head's up. SO that's what's going on.


Things from this past week: We are having some insane weather. It will be hailing in the morning, 80's in the afternoon (see pictures below) and then hailing/thunderstorms/massive winds/tornadoes again at night. The other night we went outside to watch the storm roll in, and saw all of our neighbors out doing the same. Seriously those were the greenest clouds I'd ever seen. It was amazing and daunting, and beautiful. Nature will never be in our control, and it's humbling to think about and watch it in action.


I took the kids to the zoo on Thursday. I was feeling very brave. We went first thing when it opened so that we could get in the children's part with a petting zoo, etc. for free, and ride the carousel for free. But it was still really cold, so it wasn't as much fun as it could've been. But we did have a good time. And it didn't cost a cent since I parked down the road and walked up. We got some lunch and tried to have a picnic at Forest Park, but the kids were shivering a lot so we finished our meals in the car and went home.


Friday night we went over to the Ryan's home. The young men in the ward were throwing a little good-bye party for Kenny. They are such cute boys, and Kenny has had such a blast working with them. He'll really miss that calling, and those boys.


This morning I got up early and went running outside. I haven't done that in a loooong time, and it felt so so good. It was warm enough, and sprinkling a little, and I loved it. A lot of times when I run, I don't always have the right attidue about it. I can't stop thinking about the weight I still need to lose, and how my body isn't what I'd like it to be, etc. But this morning I just felt so grateful that I have a healthy body that allows me to get out and run like that, and I just want to take care of it and show respect for that incredible blessing. I want to feel like that more often, it is a much more positive experience.


Kenny went and picked up the U-Haul today. I've been packing for a while and we loaded up a lot, including the couches (I'm so buff) and made some good progress. Moving is just a lot of work and there's no other way around it. Well this has turned into quite the novel so I'll be going to bed now.






2 comments:

Caitlin said...

ugh! i feel your pain! steven's company is the same way...not telling you things until the last minute. it hasn't happened yet but they keep saying change is coming. good luck with the move! i hope all goes well and you can be settled somewhere soon!

Tina Braegger said...

well first off I hope your move went well. I felt like this post was for me..haha! I am so nosey asking you questions all the time. That is nice that you get to be in Houston for a while though with your family. That would be awesome if you guys ended up in Idaho Falls because we could have a heck of a better chance seeing you.That is so nice to have a great job though so wherever you end up I am sure will be the right place. :)
Thanks for camera advice. My Aunt ended up buying us one. I was so thankful and so far I really like it!