Monday, January 19, 2015

Getting Through January

January is by far my least favorite month, every single year. There are no holidays to brighten this cold, dark month. It always seems like the very longest month of the year. But the good news is we've already made it a little over halfway. So I know we're getting there! :) I think a couple things that make it seem even longer is because of our restrictive goals! For example, we are doing a "no sugar" for January. Even the kids are in on it, and I told them they'd get $5 if they could go the whole month. But it had to be their choice. So far, Madison and Kelsey chose to have treats instead of hold out, which I expected :) (though I should mention it has been twice the whole month which is still really good). But I've been so proud of Tyler and Brynlee as they have continually exercised amazing self-control for their young ages. They understand the prize is going to be more worth it to them than the immediate gratification of a cookie or something, and they're staying strong. I'm so impressed. Another thing is that we're doing a financial fast this month. That's where we don't buy anything during the whole month. Between Christmas in December, and 4 birthdays plus Valentines in February, our bank account needs a little break in January. We've been wanting to try one for a while, just as a good exercise in restraint and lessons in frugality. It's proved to be a good thing for our wallets and our minds as we are reminded of what we actually need and what we buy "just because". We are sure running low on food though, and the fresh fruits and vegetables have been gone for a while. Frozen and canned are just not as good, but they'll do for another 10 days or so.

Brigham is doing better and better and it's such a blessing. He is so huge and we all love him so very much. His reflux is so so much better that it's nearly gone. He's sleeping longer stretches and is generally a happier baby. He is strictly formula fed now, which was a pretty hard transition for me. But it's been so much better for him, and therefore for the rest of us. The first Sunday I was giving him bottles instead of nursing him, a lady of course had to disapprove and remark about how much better breast milk is for babies and suggest things that I could have done. It was hurtful, and made me think I was not doing what I could have or should have, etc. But Kenny helped remind me that we had tried everything for almost 5 months and this has been the only thing that's helped him! Of course I believe in breast feeding, and I understand that it's usually the better option. But I don't think it was worth it for my pride to continue trying to nurse him when he handled it so poorly, making the rest of us miserable. He's still a healthy baby, only now he's happy too! And just for the record I certainly don't hold it against this well-meaning woman. She's a friend, and I know she's just inclined to speak her mind whenever she sees fit. I've worked with her enough to know how she is and I'm not offended. It was just an emotionally fragile time over a sensitive topic. Anyway. Briggs sucks on his fingers to help himself go to sleep now and it's like my favorite thing ever. He never did take to the pacifier, none of my kids did. But at least he found his fingers!!! I love it. He's still somewhat lazy and doesn't seem to anxious to get going anywhere. He can only roll over one way, still doesn't roll from back to front. But that's alright. He'll get it. He has the most adorable laugh and his siblings just love to play with him and get him laughing. He's got us all wrapped around his chubby little fingers ;)

At church I got called as the Bear Den Leader in the Cub Scouts! Cub Scouting is a whole new world to me that I've never known anything about. But I'm excited to learn and Tyler will be joining cub scouts here in less than a month so it will be fun to go together every Wednesday night. These boys are a fun age! Also I'm the Relief Society Pianist. This Relief Society does an opening and closing song, which is a little strange to me, but oh well :). I'm finally getting more comfortable with playing in front of people, thanks to Primary breaking me in. I'm certainly not much better skilled, just not lacking quite as much in confidence.

This last Friday (the 16th) Kenny and I got to go on a date! Our first non-temple date in quite a long time. The Stake Presidency put on a dinner for all the Elders Quorum Presidents and their wives in the stake. It was so sweet of them and really fun to get to know them better. I hadn't met all the other people from the various wards (some of which I didn't even know existed) so it was a good evening. Nice to get a break for a couple hours and have someone serve me dinner! :) Briggs slept the whole time we were gone so the babysitter had nothing to worry about which was a tender mercy. We did have to pay the babysitter, which broke our fast a little. But the dinner itself was free so that's good! I also had dessert that night and broke the no-sugar thing. But when the stake pres. himself serves you a piece of dessert his wife made, you don't say no :).  

On Saturday I took Tyler to a "It's Great to be 8" activity at the church. All the kids in primary that are 7, and turning 8 this year got to attend. It was such a great idea! They talked to them about all the great things happening when they turn 8. First an introduction to Cub Scouts for the boys, and girls achievement for the girls. But the main focus as on their upcoming baptisms. They talked about their bishop's interview and how the big day is going to work, let them walk down in the font and see the dressing room, etc. I felt like it was so smart and they'll all be much less intimidated and more prepared for their baptisms. 

We had a lot of fun on Saturday afternoon. Kenny got out the ax and trimmers and went to chop down some of the dead trees in our backyard. He cleared out a big section of the yard that is just overgrowth and burned all the branches. He was out there till way past dark. Came in to eat dinner, then went back out when I don't even know how he could see what he was doing. It makes him so happy to work outside. He said, "man it feels good to just chop down a tree!" haha. Of course the kids were out there a lot "helping" him and learning. He taught them how to safely carry the ax and how to chop and trim, too. It was a really wonderful day with lots of family work time, indoors and outdoors.

My dad got called as the Stake President in Houston, TX. I am not surprised at all, as he is one of the greatest men I know. But I'm excited for him and for my mom and the good they will do there. I have been so blessed with such awesome parents. I'm very grateful for their service and examples.

Madison had her work cut out for her! Haha, of course I didn't make her do all these dishes herself. But she sure did help me with all of them! She's a great dish washer. And of course she's wearing her princess dress.

Kenny's helping Bryn swing the ax because it was a little heavy for her to do alone. 

The first tree he chopped down all by himself! :) Not very big, but still very proud.



1 comment:

Cam said...

I can't believe someone said something to you about giving Briggs a bottle. As if you have no idea what your doing on your 5th kid! I'm so glad that he is doing better though. You're such a good mom.

Also, it pretty much blows my mind that Tyler is turning 8.