Saturday, March 13, 2010

Week Highlights and Our Race

Monday: I met for lunch with my visiting teachers, and Rochelle (their other visiting teachee) at McDonald's for our monthly visit. It is a lot of fun to chat with these women and let our kids play, and no one has to clean their house before or after! :) It's great. Mon. night was FHE as usual, but nothing extraordinary.

Tuesday: Kenny always works late on Tuesdays, but he got home just in time to distract the kids in the other room while I had book club. It's our Relief Society Book Club, and this month it was at my house. The book was The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown, which is a good read.

Wednesday: spent the entire day switching rooms. The reason we had to do this is because Tyler outgrew his little toddler bed a loooong time ago. But his little room just wouldn't allow for a bigger bed, since he shares the room with Bryn, and there's a dresser. So I was telling Kenny the other night how I just felt so bad about his darn bed, and I hated having to put his little legs back up on the bed every night because they're hanging over the sides. He said, "we could trade rooms with them". And I thought he was such a genius for thinking of that because of all the ways I was trying to work around the problem, that never crossed my mind. So a couple weeks ago I got online and found a full bed and ordered it! The frame already came, and the mattresses will be here on Monday. It's been a lot of work and creativity getting everything to fit (in our new, very small room) but that's okay. But I did get to buy more bins! I love bins. My motto is you can never have too many bins. Someday we hope to have a little bit more space, but in the meantime we will just make do. The kids love their new room and all the extra playing space it provides. I love it for them, too. I also ran 8 miles this day, which was my long run for the week.

Thursday: I took both kids into the doctor for their 1 year and 3 year well-check appointments. They're both doing great! We are so blessed to have healthy children. After that we came home to give Bryn a little nap (shots are no fun). I had to wake her up to go to a Presidency meeting, though. That night we watched Ratatoille together and had root beer floats.

Friday: Helped set up the church for the Relief Society birthday celebration (which I sadly didn't even get to attend). Kenny got off work early, and my piano lesson got canceled for this week. So we all went out to eat together at Pizza World, and got the buffet. Tyler loves pizza and will eat it until he's sick, or I stop him. We used the excuse of needing to carb-load for our race. That night I also went to Heather's Tastefully Simple party at her house and had a great time. That company's got some very yummy food.

Saturday: RACE DAY! Kenny and I dropped our kids off at the Porter's (thank you Justin for watching them) at 6:30 a.m. and headed out to St. Louis for the 5 Mile (NOT 5K) St. Patrick's Day Race. We've been looking forward to it for a while now. It was pretty cold about 40 degrees, and very cloudy, and sprinkling off and on, but it was so much fun. I have severe anxiety issues over things like this, for no reason at all. I tell myself that it doesn't matter and there's absolutely nothing to worry about, but my body doesn't listen. I felt sick to my stomach all morning. There were 12,000 or so runners and it was IN-SANE! It was so cool to look in both directions and see just a big bobbing sea of green. The first two miles was difficult because it was so packed you were just trying to dodge around people and find a place where you could run your pace. But I guess that's just part of the fun and challenge of it all. We were going to run together at the beginning, but we lost each other after a minute just trying to get around everyone. Then I found Kenny at about Mile 1 marker and so we ran together for the next mile and a half or so. Then Kenny sped up, but I couldn't so I just said, go on. My stupid body freaked out when I started to pick up speed for the last 400 meters or so and started dry heaving like crazy until I actually threw up what little breakfast I had. I continued to dry heave, which made it very difficult to sprint it in. It was terribly embarrassing because people were lined up obviously at this point and some guys yelled "EWWW" when I barfed and I felt bad. But I got like 2 1/2 min. slower than when I ran last week at the gym. My goal was to be under 39 minutes, and I got 41:30, but that's okay. Kenny beat me by 2-3 minutes, and I was so glad to see him when I finished. It was a lot of fun to do this together! But we are more anxious for the half marathon coming up in April.
I realize these pictures are less than stellar. That's alright. We totally forgot to take pictures there, so we had Justin take some when we went to pick up our kids, how weird is that.


6 comments:

Carly said...

Linds- You are my hero, runner woman!! Cute pics! :) Sorry you threw up on the 5k- that is no fun! I'm proud of you for finishing even so!! :)

Porter Family said...

I was going to say...I recognize that front yard!!!! :) Glad you had a great week and way to go on the race, that is awesome!

The Walkers said...

Good for you! I really want to get into running once this baby is here. You look fantastic! So skinny, even after having two babies!

Charity said...

So you said something about piano lessons- are you teaching or taking? and I'm very impressed with you going to the gym and running and everything else you do so well. What a woman. I'm glad you are doing a book club. I'm in one for our ward and I love it. Good luck on your next race- you are the WOMAN!

Ben, Charlotte, Troy, and Liam said...

You are so flippin awesome!! And YAY for wedding ring. And I laughed a ton at all the other posts. I just love your blog :)

Shalean said...

Wow! That is an awesome time! You definitely have the body for running...long legs! Good job! Rick and I just started training for a 40 miley relay in June. We each get a 5 mile leg, but it is all hills so it is going to be a killer. Such an accomplishment in the end though.