Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Last Night

I must have had a memory lapse last night. See, I have been feeling bad lately about lack of ambition for dinner-making. I love to cook and was in a real kick of trying new recipes for quite a while. But ever since Madi was born, I have been quite lame. So last night, (with my memory momentarily gone) I said, no more of this! And I decided to make spaghetti and meatballs. I've never made meatballs before, and this was sauce from scratch, not from a jar. Oh, and breadsticks, my favorite part. However, as soon as the dough was supposed to be done rising, I discover Madi's blow-out! (She's not usually a blow out type of girl, and I assume it's because of her antibiotic since it's a daily occurrence lately). So I obviously have to take a while to clean that up. Later, just as I get my hands good and covered in raw meat, eggs, cheese and seasonings, Brynlee yells "potty!" and runs to the bathroom. Only she couldn't quite get those darn panies off in time... So I wash my hands off, clean her up, and start a load of laundry with all the poop stuff from Madi, and the pee stuff from Bryn. Wash my hands again, and resume making meatballs. Then, as I'm trying to get the sauce made, I'm also bouncing Madi around on my hip and singing to her to try to get her to stop screaming. All of the sudden those jars of Ragu I passed at the grocery store were lookin pretty good. So anyway, distracting Madison meant that my mind wasn't really on the food. I halved the recipe, up until the seasonings, which got the full dose! That sauce did not lack flavor I'll tell you what! I then stopped again to feed Madi. The breadsticks burned/stuck to the pan like cement glue (only on the bottom though, the top 3/4 were really good). Not to mention, this whole time Tyler and Brynlee have completely trashed the house and emptied my cupboards to play hide and seek in there with glow sticks. To top it all off, Kenny didn't even get home until about 7:00, so he missed dinner. (Although he did have nothing but high praise for it when he got home, that made me feel a little better!) Now I remember why I don't do dinners like this very often. Thank goodness there's enough for left-overs tonight! :) I think they should do a reality tv show with moms cooking dinner for their families. All those fake reality tv shows they have with a time limit or whatever, that's nothin. The real challenge, is doing it in your own home, with a bunch of needy children! Also last night, our power went out. It was pretty random. Luckily, it was really good timing, and ended up being fun instead of scary. We had put the kids to bed already (except the baby of course), it was about 8:30 p.m. Glad we had cell phones to find the candles and light them. We had all sorts of scents going on--cinnamon vanilla, apple cinnamon, pumpkin spice, etc. it was weird, and romantic! :) We couldn't do anything else but sit there and talk to each other in our dimly-lit house. We put extra blankets on the kids in case it didn't come back on during the night and even went to bed early. We should make the power go out at night more often. No distractions. At 12:51 a.m. it came back on and I got up to turn off the lights that spontaneously came on. I am grateful we normally have power to wash clothes, dishes, computer, lights, etc. I always forget how very dependent I am on it.

4 comments:

Cam said...

Never a dull moment, Linds! You should seriously think about that TV show :)

Dax and Jen said...

The TV show really is a good idea. I would laugh my head off watching it, but only because I really know how hard it is in the moment. Gourmet meal or sanity? Lately I choose sanity. :)

Ben, Charlotte, Troy, and Liam said...

Oh, you are so amazing. And I really hope that TV show idea happens. Now I know why my mom liked silence so much. Ben wonders why I never want to listen to music in the car... I get enough "music" during the day.

Carolyn said...

Lindsay, You made me laugh reading your blog!! I can remember the days...:) It seems like when it rains it pours!!! You sure are a cute wife and mother! I'm sure glad you are my daughter-in-law! Washing machines are wonderful when you have a bunch of messy stuff to clean up! :) I've never eaten anything at your house that didn't taste delicious! Glad Kenny is a good support! Love you lots! Kids are so cute...give them a hug from me!
Love Carolyn :)