Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Summer Lovin'



 Another day at Goose Lake Park. I'm still not a huge "lake swimming" fan. Growing up in Texas I'm definitely partial to public swimming pools. I was spoiled with those. Nice chairs to lay out, diving boards, kiddie pools, I always know what's under the bottom of my feet, not so muddy...those were the good ol' days :). But we're learning to love lakes too.

Biking to the library on Wed. for story time has become a favorite weekly tradition. Don't mind Kelsey's outfit...Ty and Bryn always fight over who gets to pick out her clothes, and sometimes they both do it together without coordinating. So she ends up with interesting combinations of tops and bottoms :). She's cute though, so she can pull off anything!

 Live at the Library on Thursdays. This last week was the cool Japanese drummers. Although only a few looked actually Japanese.

Madison is always taking care of her babies. She's a great mommy and often gets after us if we're too loud..."Shh!! Guys! My babies are sleeping!" Sometimes they get put in time out, and they often get sang to (sung to?).
 Last Friday (I think) we went to the Natural History Museum because I had bought a groupon for it a while back and needed to use it before it expired. It was a fun place, and would've been nice to spend a little more time in there for Tyler. But they were doing some construction work and power washing it and stuff outside. Some rooms were so loud from the work they were doing on the roof, we could hardly hear to talk to each other.

Her stroller got a little too close to a bear display :(

Behind this "dino dig" display there were a bunch of tables and a kids' Lutheran camp were there on a field trip. They sat down to eat lunch while we were here playing. One of the camp leaders called on someone to "choose a prayer". The little boy says, "Number 4!" So they all shout "God is good! God is great! something something....Amen!" My kids were staring wide-eyed at this strange scene and it presented a great opportunity (after we left) to talk about prayer and how lots of people pray differently. They understand now that all praying to God is good, we just choose to be more reverent when we pray and think about the words we say. It was pretty funny.

My walking aquarium boy loved this place. You can thank his dad for that stellar shirt he picked up for him in Hawaii--despite my protests.

The Eskimo family. Minus Kelsey.
 
Kenny went fishing Friday night. He left straight from work with some buddies. They fished most of the night, slept a few hours in the car, and got up and fished some more. He got home around 10 a.m. I tell you he is a man of extremes, and he really loves salmon fishing :). He only brought one home though. The kids love watching him filet the fish and he identifies all its parts. I think it's so gross. But he did grill it for us on Sunday and it was delicious! It's starting to grow on me! We had the missionaries over for dinner too, and it was a lovely meal of grilled salmon over wild rice, grilled asparagus and corn on the cob. Perfect summer meal.


2 comments:

Kerri Andersen said...

i love the last picture! a dad teaching his children something...and the 2 girls in pink dress up dresses. such a classic :) love it!

Charity said...

Love your new family photo and all the individual one are dang cute too! Looks like you guys have been having tons of fun. I love grilled salmon- glad its growing on ya! Oh and thanks for the behind the scenes info you are great and I agree with you. I just have to say you've got to be better at laundry than I am- I just can't get stains out(mud/grass/food/poop/spit up/marker)you name it. So that always makes me stress more and less laid back about some 'kid fun' cause then they'd have no clothes left :)
So share your expertise- I love all you have to say.