Wednesday, June 26, 2013

What'er thou art, act well thy part

Sometimes I look at other women in the world and feel bad about myself. You know the ones. They're cute, and fashionable, with perfectly decorated and clean homes, multiple degrees, jobs, fancy titles, and of course--they're also moms. I read about them and think, what's wrong with me? Maybe I should be doing more than just being a mom. Obviously there's thousands of women are do more than just have kids. I wanna be cool too!

So I've been praying about it. Is this all I'm supposed to be doing? Surely I have talents and gifts that could be of some use too, right? Not that I have to go out and get a full-time job. But just to have something else, outside the home...bragging rights, if you will. :)

Tonight as I was doing the dishes after the kids were in bed, I turned on Elaine S. Dalton's Conference talk and listened to it. It was truly an answer to my prayers, and I had thoughts come into my head that I know were inspired. Isn't personal revelation awesome?! I don't know what I'd do without it.

My answer was not to look outside my home for satisfaction and fulfillment, but within these walls. To find it in acting well my part. However small and unglamorous it is, this is my part and by golly I'm going to do it well. I realized that turning my time and energies away from my family would only create more problems, not solve any. It's right here that I can focus all that I have--on my husband, my children, my house. It's being present in the moments I have with them that make my life so full and rich and meaningful.

Perhaps someday I will go on to get another degree. And maybe someday I will work outside the home. But I have received confirmations from the Spirit so many times that I cannot ignore it. Now is not that time of life for me (I know everyone's life path is different), and I'm so grateful for that confirmation. I look at pictures from when Tyler was just a baby and I think "Holy Cow!! How did life happen so fast?!" It was a good reminder to treasure these precious years.

6 comments:

Carlee Ann said...

Beautiful thoughts Lindsay! You don't know how many people look up to YOU! :)

Carly said...

I love that talk too... this one has been on repeat for me: http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=7bd0d9cbdb01c010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____
(Julie Beck's "A Mother Heart")

I won't get into it here too much, maybe I should do my own blog post. But just know that you are such a wonderful example to me. When I look at your blog and hear about your family I envy your ability to be such an amazing mom. I have often wished for more focus in my life, more simplicity (not that motherhood is ever simple) and time to have clear thoughts instead of being so overwhelmed and frustrated all the time. I have often resented my business and wished I didn't have to work right now. I think no matter our situation in life, no matter what it is that the Lord has asked of us, we will feel that bit of "What if I was doing x, y, or z differently" Especially in a world like today's where we can see so clearly so many different lifestyles being lived out - on facebook and other social media, we get a window into these different kinds of families and different ways of doing things. It's like... we don't see that they feel just the same as we do. :) Anyway. I have had this thought on my mind for quite some time, I probably will blog about it soon and get it all out. Anyway. You are blessed, you are a wonderful example, and your talents and abilities do not go unnoticed. <3 Thanks for sharing your inspirations with us!! :)

Shelley said...

I think we all look at those wonderful people and feel badly about ourselves. I've become so tired of doing that, feeling less than awesome...when really that's not true. We should look in the mirror more and realize that we are just as wonderful :). You are so great, Lindsay!

Ben, Charlotte, Troy, and Liam said...

LOVE this! I ponder on the same things. I think of your other post about being the constant in your kids lives. I think about that a lot. Thanks Linds!

Charity said...

Thank you for sharing. Personal Revelation is beautiful. I really look up to you and think you are one of those wonderful women I want to be more like. You are a fabulous wife, mother and home-maker. Love you!

Kimberly said...

Wonderful thoughts Linds. Thanks for sharing!