Sunday, June 2, 2013

Hiking Flattop Mountain


 
Friday, May 31st    Elevation Gain: 1300 ft.     Distance: 1.7 miles one way
(we didn't quite make it to the top though, but pretty close)

Last year we hiked this, and wanted to try again. We didn't realize there would still be so much snow, and it made for quite the trip. As usual, Captain Kenny always pushes our family much farther than I ever would, but we're all grateful in the end. We always have a great time and oh I love giving us experiences to stretch ourselves and push the limits of what we think we can do together. The funniest part was when we reached this bench that was near the top and were stopping to take a snack/water break. There was a group of people from California (maybe Japanese or Chinese?) and they were on an English Camp. They were just blown away that our kids were there with us and made such a big deal about it in their heavy accents. "How did they get up here?!! They are so brave!!" They even requested to take a picture with our children, and then another one of Brynlee's dirty pants hahaha. It was so funny to me. I was proud of how well these kids did, and thought it was cute for others to be so impressed as well. They love to go hiking and stuff, and request it often.

Awkward pic of me, but we took a picture on this tree last time, so we thought it should be a tradition

 


This hike got a 2 thumbs up!!

Just to my left you can see downtown Anchorage
Just to be clear, I didn't have Kelsey for very long. Kenny just happened to take several pictures while I did. She was screaming for me, so I took her for a little while. But once we got to the snowy parts again, I didn't trust myself because of how much I was slipping around. Kenny always bears the brunt (physically) of our family outings, but he's also the one that pushes us so I told him he better ;).

You can see part of the trail, if you look for the line that cuts diagonally up the mountain

I was seriously freaking out at this part. I was so scared of him slipping and tumbling down the mountainside with both of my babies. He told me not to worry, because he had the balance of a mountain goat. Baaa! :)



Me and my Madi cakes

This sweet boy is always finding flowers to give me

No comments: