Sunday, September 20, 2009

Don't let this smile fool you too bad


I think I have been very good at recording the sweet and wonderful things about Bryn. But let's be honest here, she has NOT been a very easy baby. Maybe I didn't realize how good Ty was, but now I really appreciate him hah. I keep thinking, ok the worst is over. But then something else comes along, and I've got another excuse for why she is so hard. It's always something. Let's start from the very beginning; C-O-L-I-C. Not so fun. On top of that she hated her car seat and screamed bloody murder whenever we would go anywhere. Eventually though, both of those went away thankfully. Then she was teething for like a month or more, straight...and I wondered how long you could keep your child on tylenol and/or motrin before it started having side effects. But we made it through that also, at least until the next batch of teeth come. Now she has a SEVERE attachment disorder to me. It is amplified by 20 when she is hungry or tired. I really don't know what to do about it. Do I leave more often and make other people listen to her scream the entire time to help her get used to it? Do I just give in because it helps out the tone and stress level in the whole house when she's not crying? Should I wean her to give us both a little more separation or would that make it worse? I would feel bad doing that though, because she loves it so much. I never knew what moms meant by their baby loving to nurse, until I had Brynlee. I know this too will pass, eventually. I just grow tired of waiting. She still doesn't sleep through the night either and that's wearing on me obviously. Anyway. The point of this post is not too get your pity or sympathy. It is what it is, and that's just kind of what you get with babies sometimes. Luck of the draw, or something like that. Any suggestions on the attachment thing? Any of you have or had kids like that? Kenny always says "if we have one more child like Brynlee that's our last one"...but at the same time, we obviously can't help but love this little girl whole-heartedly. I mean just look at that smile! And her rolls...how many necks can a girl have? She really is a sweet girl, as long as I'm holding her! Oh motherhood. What a ride.

4 comments:

Mike and Mylinda Stone said...

Oh it is such a joy at times and OHHH such a trial at times. I've had kids who were annoyingly attached to me too. Then I got my little fellow who at a year old decided he prefered daddy, or big sisters or brothers or really anyone, over mom. It broke my heart. They all have something to teach us. Daddy went away on a deployment and now my son loves me again but Ya, sometimes you can have too much of a good thing. I'd say just wait it out. Some kids are just harder than others, but it will all balance out later.

Wii are the Nelsons said...

I don't have much advice because James has stranger anxiety too since like 5 1/2 months; now at 9 1/2 months; he's doing much better...not crying right away.
I would say if people are okay with watching crying babies, let them take her/watch her. I would let them take James if I knew more people that are comfortable with that because then I don't feel so bad about leaving or guilty for asking.
Sometimes too just let her cry in her crib and busy yourself with something for a little while because it can be so stressful to have them so attached...
BTW in answer to your question, James has been crawling since 6 months. I'm ready for him to walk because he's just so heavy and it's really starting to mess with my back and I'm still young!
Oh and I love Brynlee's neck rolls!

Shelley said...

I don't have any advice. Lily had colic and has not been an easy baby but not so much with the attachment thing. She has to be away from me because of school. You are the best mom ever! No wonder she wants to be with you all the time.

Brooke said...

Motherhood is for sure a big ride. You think you have something down and then the kid changes on you and you have to start all over. Kaylee was (and still is somewhat) attached to me too. I think it finally got better when I stopped nursing her. It made a huge difference. That being said I wouldn't stop nursing until she and you are ready. Kaylee still wants me and ONLY me if she is tired, hungry, or hurt, but she is slowly enjoying other things around her. I hate that the only advice I could give is to just wait it out.