Friday, September 25, 2009

Love The Lady In You

I don't know if any of you watch the show, "Dancing With The Stars", but I sometimes like to watch them online a couple days after they air. I actually know some of the people this time; Donny Osmond, Melissa Joan-Hart (Sabrina the Teenage Witch), Macy Gray (until she got eliminated), to name a few. Anyway, since I watched it earlier today I can't stop thinking about Kelly Osbourne's Viennese Waltz. Not only was it a neat dance to watch, but I was shocked by the reaction more than anything. She and her partner, and her mom were all crying. Her dad, Ozzy Osbourne, was shocked too! I don't know a whole lot about her life, other than the fact that she has had drug problems, and has basically just been a mess for many years. (With a dad like that how can you blame her?) But I thought it was so wonderful to see her find that beautiful lady inside of her. I have never seen anyone cry like that after dancing, especially the first week.

I have just been thinking about it, and it is proof to me of the divine nature inside each woman. Our spirits love beauty and grace, and that was obviously not something with which she was very familiar. When they got backstage after they danced, she said through her tears, "I have never had so much fun in my whole life and I can't believe I am crying". It's like her spirit was celebrating this natural side to her that she hadn't allowed before. I think everyone was so happily surprised because it is such a stark contrast to her normal self. She was dancing a clean, uplifting, and beautiful dance to wholesome music, and those things refine a person, and it overwhelmed her.

I was always amused by those girls that, while growing up, would have to remind everyone that they were a "tom boy". They "couldn't stand dresses or make up", and just wanted to play with, and act like, boys. I just wondered, what are you afraid of--looking pretty and feeling good about yourself? I'm certainly not saying that we have to always wear dresses and only do "lady-like" things. But it is important to recognize and love our femininity.

My absolute favorite sport is basketball. I played it through junior high, and all but my senior year of high school. I love it. One thing I really appreciated about my dad was that he would always tell me to keep being a lady. Just because I was playing a physical and competitive sport did not mean that I was not still a girl. I could be a lady on and off the court. That really stuck with me. You think about college and pro female b-ball players...not the most feminine gals you'll meet, and he didn't want me to lose that part of me.

Anyway, this may all be taking it a little far. It was just a dance. But it was a transforming moment for Kelly Osbourne, and I have just been reflecting on why it was so significant to her, and apparent to all watching as well. I just think it's important to love the lady in you.


3 comments:

Ben, Charlotte, Troy, and Liam said...

What a good insight. I'll make that a goal this week, to enjoy my femininity. :)

Wii are the Nelsons said...

that's a beautiful picture of you...good thing to remember because I was tomboyish when I was younger and finally now acting more like a girly girl =D

Shelley said...

I love how you notice things like that. You are such a good writer!