Sunday, September 27, 2009

Bread

Genesis 3:19 "In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread"

Are you scared of making bread? Be honest. I'm here to tell you that you can do it. Yes, you! It's really not that hard. People sometimes have this idea that bread is this really hard thing to make and you have to be a great cook to even attempt it. But that's a lie. (because even I make it)

My mom made bread all the time growing up. Not only is it cheaper, but I think it's healthier too :). We all love my mom's bread. Sometimes you will find children standing around the kitchen waiting for it to come out of the oven because it tastes especially yummy when it's hot, with butter and honey oozing all over it. It was just something my mom (and most of my aunt's) did. I guess that's something I felt like I was supposed to do once I got married. Here's proof--this is me 2 weeks after we got married, attempting my FIRST batch of homemade bread.


Kenny and I had a good laugh at how very large and deformed they were. I was somewhat paranoid that it wouldn't turn out, so I added extra yeast and let it rise extra long. I soon discovered that it was very unnecessary, and plus they didn't fit it any bags. I didn't do it very often while going to school because I was very busy and somewhat lazy, but since graduation I do it all the time and we love it. We grind our own wheat and it makes yummy wheat flour. I don't do all wheat bread because Kenny doesn't like it as much. So ratio of wheat to white is probably 3:1. That works for us.

Point is, I think you should all try it. It might take a few tries before you get it just the way you like it, but isn't that how most recipes go?
I only make 3 loaves at a time, then I freeze one or two and pull them out when I need them. They're a little more crumbly once they've been frozen, but it's still good :). There's probably hundreds of different bread recipes out there to choose from. If you'd like our family's secret bread recipe (just kidding on the secret part), just ask me. I'd be happy to tell you. So go! It will make your house smell so good and you will feel oh so domestic. Happy bread making!

2 comments:

Porter Family said...

I love it when you find that perfect bread recipe and everyone thinks you're a genius. :) Bud only eats my bread straight out of the oven because, "It is 1000 times better that way." Thus, after I make it, one loaf is immediately gone if Bud is around, or else it sits while I chink away pieces at a time. You're the bestest! Thanks for being so positive!

Shalean said...

I love to make bread, especially in the winter. But I have to admit it has been awhile since I've done it and I have struggled with different recipes. Nothing makes you feel so good about yourself and feeling like such a good mom then pulling out a hot loaf of bread for the family to enjoy:) Could you please pass on your recipe?!?