Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Home, Alive, and Well

We are back! I took the kids with me down to Houston for a week to hang out with my family. I really needed a break, and to be in a house that doesn't make me so sick. It was just what I needed. We left on Mother's Day after sacrament meeting and drove to Little Rock, Arkansas. We stayed the night in a hotel, then finished the drive on Monday. It was a long drive, 14 hours by myself with kids. But it was so worth it. It was a nice, relaxing week where I only threw up one day (the last day haha) and felt great the rest of the time. I got to nap every day and have people entertain my kids for me. I still have 3 siblings at home: Laura, Tim, and Sarah (although Laura will be leaving this summer). Tim and Ty were inseparable and Tyler practically worships him. He is a great uncle and I wish we had uncle Tim around all the time. He let Ty sleep in his bed every night, he took him swimming after school, they wrestled, jumped on the trampoline, etc. etc.
Brynlee grew quite attached to Grandma and everyone loves what a snuggler she is. I got to be there for my mom's birthday, which was on Wednesday. It was nice to be there for that little celebration, and I wish I would have taken more pictures. I sure love my mom a lot. I was really kind of stuck in a rut for a while here, and I kind of let being so sick take over me. I was not happy with who I was and I would just think every day, "this is not me". But now I feel re-focused, and re-energized and remember what I love about being a mom, and what that entails. My mom is a fantastic example to me and I am so blessed to be her daughter, and continually learn from her.
It was a very hot day and so we turned the sprinkler on under the tramp. At first Bryn was scared of it, but then she liked it. Tyler was in heaven.
Lots of jumping on the trampoline. We really need to get one, our kids love them! I love Bryn's static hair.
(my mom made them "Indian hats" and a drum and Ty loved being an Indian Chief, and dancing around making Indian noises :)

Other things we did down in Texas:

-ate Blue Bell ice cream practically every day!!!!
-went and got a Jamba Juice since we don't have that good stuff here
-did a lot of shopping, including Ikea!!
-I got to read!
-worked on some sewing projects, and now my sailboat quilt for Ty's bed is ready to be shipped off to get quilted!! I just had the last border left to put on. I love having my mom around to teach me all her tricks. She's such an expert at sewing and quilting, so it's really helpful.


-enjoyed having an adult to talk to during the day :)
-missed Kenny like crazy
-Brynlee learned how to say tickle, but she says "thickle" and it's really cute to watch her little tongue go in and out
-My siblings performed with the rest of their stake youth in a program called "From Cumorah's Hill". It was a really neat performance, and a great missionary opportunity. My sisters, Laura and Sarah are amazing singers and both had solos in the show. I was so impressed! It's fun to be there for things like that.
Brynlee woke up on Monday night around 1 a.m. with a fever, and has had one pretty much ever since. She's still got some back molars coming in so she was (and is) extra cranky. It did NOT help the ride home. We did it all in one day, so it took 16 hours when it should have been between 13-14. It was a VERY looooooong day, pulling in around 10:00 last night. But we made it, and I have never been so happy to see Kenny. He had the house so so clean, and so organized too. Even the garage was organized!! What a guy. I know he was super lonely with us gone, but I am grateful we got to go.

8 comments:

Shalean said...

Glad Kenny got to stay behind and keep the chickens company;) I agree though about getting away from your own stinky house to feel better! It is the best medicine ever. Glad to hear you are feeling better Linds!

Carly said...

glad you had fun!!
and also happy you aren't fatally ill or something, i was getting worried! :)

McCaye said...

That looks like a fun little trip! I'm jealous you got to see your family, and I agree entirely that your mom is incredible. What is your email? I want to add you to our blog.

Lindsay said...

McCaye!! I have been trying to figure out a way to contact you. How are you feeling? I would love to see your blog! My e-mail is lindsay.a.weston@gmail.com

Hope your pregnancy's going well!

Caitlin said...

so glad you got to go. there's nothing like going home! It's fun to get reenergized and relax, huh??

Mom and Sarah said...

Time away, anywhere, always gives a new perspective on your own abode. Time away with mom to help out is such an added benefit. Love those times when I can be there for my kiddos! It's a neat circle. I certainly remember those times I just needed to go home and be with my mom and get refocused, and I went back with new ideas and new enthusiasm and new appreciation for hubby. It's all good. Lindsay has been with us this weekend for her birthday and I think she has enjoyed it...just doing things here and there and enjoying some down time. Glad you made it back safe. That is, indeed, a long song! Hugs, Lisa

Mom and Sarah said...

Change that "song" to "ride"...

Charity said...

Wow, you are amazing. I can't imagine such a long drive alone w/kids and not feeling well. But the reward at the end (both times!) I'm sure was motivation. Your Mom is wonderful, I'm glad you got a little break. Luv you :)