Friday, May 7, 2010

We bought chickens. This is not a joke.

Today was a pretty good day. We made triple chocolate fudge cupcakes with blue frosting just for the fun of it. Then the kids played in the rain, although it didn't rain for very long, or very hard. It was a good excuse to pull out Bryn's cute raincoat.




Kenny got home around 4:00, which was really nice since he worked till 9:00 last night. As soon as he got home, he wanted to go to the Co-op grain and feed place in Hamel, a small town of 600 people just down the road. Kenny's been talking about buying a duck for the kids for a couple weeks now. They're inexpensive, and if it gets too big or annoying for us we can just let it go wild in the lake close to our house. So I finally gave in and said one duck would be okay to try, but we would absolutely not get any chickens. (He brought up getting a chicken, too). As we drove there I told him to get it out of his head because we would not be bringing home a chicken. Well somehow we ended up bringing home not one, but TWO CHICKENS and ordered TWO DUCKS, and TWO GEESE! I should clarify, this was Kenny's doing. He is thrilled about it, and so are the kids. They can't get enough of them, and I think it's hilarious. I'm disgusted by how much they poop already, but I think it will be fun to collect eggs from them. They'll both lay brown eggs by the end of the summer. Tyler claimed the black chicken is his, and named him (he doesn't believe it's a female), Squeak. Brynlee's is the yellowish/white chicken, and we named it Sunny for her. Squeak is way calm so far, and Sunny is crazy just like Bryn. It's always trying to like fly away, and it walks up your arm and nestles in the crook of your neck or in your collar bone. The ducks and geese will be here next week. What have we gotten ourselves into?!! I always thought we'd get like a dog or something, a normal pet. But since when does anything go as I plan?

Trying to be brave, but you know that he's going crazy with that chicken on his shoulder!

To be honest, I'm not sure who's happier about these pets, Kenny, or the kids.

Check out her grip on Sunny's face. I'll be surprised if her poor chicken survives a week in our house.


8 comments:

Cam said...

Linds that is adorable! I'm so excited to hear about your bird adventures. And to hear Ty talk about them! That sounds so fun!

Charity said...

Wow, that really cool. I grew up with ducks and chickens. Oh and to answer your question I use picasa (free photo program) its way easy. I'd be happy to help you learn to do it if you'd like.

Tina Braegger said...

those chickens are adorable. It looks like a lot of fun. I hear they do poop a alot. Ty's parents have had some in there yard and they are messy but pretty funny. Love the pics!

Wii are the Nelsons said...

When we went to Cal-Ranch, I contemplated buying James a little chick...he just loves animals. We are opting to go the zoo though =D I'm not taking care of it.
Looks like the whole family loves them! Hopefully they don't become a burden on you by being too messy.

Caitlin said...

they are super cute! let me know how this goes!

Elise said...

I'm so excited for you! Baby chicks are so cute. It almost makes up for how small their brains are. (Seriously I think chickens are super dumb! It's pretty funny.)

Once Michelle and I sold baby chicks on the side of the road. We wanted to earn some money. And in a suburby place like Orem, we only sold three. To a van full of Hispanic kids. Awesome.

Ben, Charlotte, Troy, and Liam said...

Oh I can't stop laughing. This is the best post ever. I need to get a chicken I guess.

Carly said...

so cute :)

are you okay?? miss your posts!! :)