Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Today I killed a bird

Let it first be said that I am innocent. I did kill the bird, but he (or she) flew into my car. I was driving on the road first, and it just popped out of nowhere, flew right into the van, hitting the front-right side, then spun/fell back into the grass. It all happened so fast, it scared me! I have been thinking about it all day; the thump, and the bird spiraling backwards off the road. I feel really bad about it. Kenny's surprised I have made it this far in my life without killing a bird on the road. But he must remember, I didn't grow up in Rockland, Idaho, where cars are much less frequent than animals. I had never even considered the possibility of hitting a bird that was in flight, until we started dating. Making drives back to his house on those old country roads in the middle of nowhere, I understood when we had a lot of close calls. Thanks to living here, I now know what it feels like to actually hit and run over a small animal on the road, and hit a flying bird.

Gross.

2 comments:

Cam said...

I always thought their "fight or flight instinct" led them to fly away from danger and not towards it... guess not. :) I've never hit a bird-- maybe we were just sheltered children.

Caitlin said...

i've never hit a bird but steven has a few times!

once i was driving in the car with my sis in law and a bat flew right into the windshield...and she lives in a very busy area!