Thursday, July 8, 2010

I've been sewing

This one I just finished this morning, actually. I never feel more stupid than when I'm sewing clothes, so that's what I'm going to work on for a while now (but you should know this is the only "clothing" project on this post). I made a little sundress for Brynlee. I got the pattern from a book called Weekend Sewing that I ordered off of Amazon. I made it a size 3, thinking I would have plenty of room and hoping she could wear it next year. But it is SO tight to get on over her shoulders. So turns out the pattern is stupid, and the directions were really hard (for me) to follow. I told you, never more stupid than when I'm sewing clothes. But that's why I'm working on it. I attached the bodice incorrectly, so I hurried and made some little frayed rosettes to help hide some of the ugly top-stitching that you can see if you look closely. But anyway, it works just great for Brynlee, and this little girl loves clothes and looking pretty :). The best news is I found the fabric at Jo-Ann's on the 60% off rack. So this dress was less than 5 bucks to make. Usually I claim that sewing is not very economical, it's just a fun hobby. But in this case, it worked great.





This is a book cover with some scrap fabric I had from a quilt I made a couple years ago. I used it on a composition notebook, which is like my "spiritual journal" for personal study, and what I take notes in if I get the chance to at church. It's always fun to have something cute to write in :). Here's the tutorial I used. I also made one for my Gospel Principles manual, it's just not quite finished.


I also did some curtains for the kids' room a while back. I still haven't posted the finished room, because I'm STILL waiting on my quilt to come back. Try not to puke when you look at the walls. If it were my house, it would have been painted before we even moved in. I was able to use some leftover fabric from the quilt, which is why it's kind of a weird-o design that I made up. But it didn't cost me any extra, so that's what we get :)




A reversible nursing cover!! I love it and can't wait to use it :) I never had a cool nursing cover with my first two kids (just regular old blankets) so I'm looking forward to baby #3. Here's the tutorial I used in case you're interested.


6 comments:

Cam said...

Linds! Look at you go! I need a sewing machine so I can be like you. That dress is ADORABLE, and Brynlee is too, so it works perfectly!

Charity said...

Impresive. I wish I knew how to sew :) I guess I better buy a sewing machine first though huh..

Elise said...

You are awesome! I love the fabric you used for your nursing cover. Super cute.

Carly said...

look @ you go woman!! i have always wanted a cute nursing cover!! i might have to commission my mama to make one haha

Kimberly said...

Your nursing cover turned out really cute. Mine is still in the unfinished ready to be unpicked and fixed state it was in when I left Houston. I love how Brynlee's rolls are poppin out of her dress. :)

Tina Braegger said...

Wow! You are so talented! I love Brynlee's dress..so cute!
And you will LOVE having a nursing cover, I thought mine was so great! I just used to sweat when using blankets and since a nursing cover was so much lighter it was awesome.