Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Other stuff from last week

Monday: supposed to have the missionaries over but Kenny worked late so I just dropped dinner off at their house instead. I selfishly admit that was much easier. Kenny actually ended up working very early and very late mon. and tues. and didn't see the kids until Wed. But that doesn't happen often so I'm not complaining.

Tuesday: My friend Heather went to Girls Camp so we had her kids over for the day. We loved having Payson and Ashlynn play with us, they're all good little buddies. Please don't look at the crappy garage behind them. We'll be re-organizing that this week.

Wednesday: I got to go out to lunch at this really cute little place called Josephine's. It was sort of a "farewell lunch" for Charlene Kraude. The Kraude family has been in our ward for less time than we've been here, and they are moving into a different home, so same stake just new ward. Charlene's been in the Relief Society Presidency with me the whole time I've been there and I just love her. I've never met a woman so in tune with the spirit at all times, and yet so down to earth. I really admire her and look to her as a great example. We'll miss them.

Thursday was the ultrasound. We had fun playing outside for a while that night. Although after like 10-15 min. we were all dripping sweat haha. I love that Brynlee is always pushing her little baby around in the stroller. She'll be a great big sister.
Friday Kenny got off work a little early since he had already put in way more hours than normal. I went to piano lessons, then we went to the Reed's home for dinner. After that we all headed over to the Y and went swimming in their outdoor pool. It was a fun evening swim and we all slept well that night. Kenny and I stayed up late playing Rummikub again. It's usually our Sunday night game but we pulled it out again. I beat him for the first (and probably last) time ever. :)
Sunday was great. We listened to the storm outside all through church! :) Brynlee went to nursery. I stayed with her for the first hour since she's technically not 18 mo. yet. Then I switched with Kenny, and he ended up just leaving her there and she did great! I cannot wait for the next 4 1/2 months where I won't be wrestling with any children after Sacrament Mtg. Right after church we had interviews with the Bishop to renew our temple recommends. We didn't plan ahead very well and had to do it all today since we'll need them for this upcoming weekend. We came home, had lunch, got back in the car and drove the 45 min. to the stake center to get the stake interviews there. We were hoping the kids would sleep on the way home, but they didn't. Whoever had the idea to give kids more energy than their pregnant mother was a bad idea. I'd like to send in a request to have that changed immediately. When we got home, we put on David and Goliath for them and Kenny and I both fell asleep on the couch while they watched that. I made a delicious peach cobbler that night with extra peaches. It made the house smell so good too. The kids went to bed at 7 and we played Rummikub, again. :)
I also read a book last week. I saw the previews for the movie, Eat, Pray, Love with Julia Roberts coming out. I wanted to read it before I saw the movie.
Elizabeth Gilbert is a really good writer, I just had some issues with the whole thing. Aside from her dropping the F bomb several times, and a few suggestive scenes I had to skip through at the end, I did enjoy reading it. I learned a lot about the countries, and cultures she visited. I disagreed with a lot of her ideas about life, religion, and love, though. She has such a modern view of things and I suppose that just doesn't sit right with me. I don't feel like you have to get a divorce and leave your family to go on some personal 1 year voyage just to find God, and figure out who you are. I think it's selfish and ridiculous. It made me appreciate the gospel a lot though, in that we have all the answers that everyone spends so long searching for. I still might write her a letter and send her a copy of the Book of Mormon. :) I'm still excited to see the movie because I love Julia Roberts.

2 comments:

Elise said...

Hey, I'm reading that book right now!
I appreciate your review. I also enjoy the writing style of Elizabeth Gilbert, and some of the things she writes are interesting. But, like you said, a lot of it doesn't really ring true with me.

It isn't really a page turner, but it is nice to have a book that I can read when I'm bored but not one that makes me slack off in my motherly duties and sneak away to read ;).

After I finish it, I'll post my full review on goodreads :).

Tina Braegger said...

Brynlee is getting so big! Your kids are so adorable!