Sunday, October 18, 2009

Oh this week

There have been so many times this week when I wanted to blog about something or other, but time kept getting away from me and I never did it. Here we are at the end of the week and so now I'll just catch up.

Potty-training: Monday morning Tyler woke up to a new routine. We went full-force potty training and it has been quite a ride. I put him in underwear all day every day (except sleeping, naps and at night) and he is doing SO well. I just about threw the towel in and said forget it a couple times. I just got so sick of cleaning up pee all over me, him, the bathroom, and OH the excess laundry was so not fun. But we're getting there. He really has made so much progress in the last 6 days that I can't complain at all. Like yesterday, we didn't have to change his pants even once. He told me every time and ran into the bathroom and I ran after him and he'd go in the potty. He is so cute about it too, he cracks me up. I decided all in all that I still do hate potty-training. I was scared of it before we started, I guess fear of the unknown. But now that we've been doing it, I am still scared--fear of the known I suppose haha.

Cars: We got a new car!!! We've been looking/shopping them out for weeks and I was getting so sick of it. We finally found one and it was a great deal. It's a 2005 Buick Terraza. We love having a mini-van and this one is like a luxury car for us. I swear I've never had so many bells and whistles on a car. Tyler loves the DVD player we have, and we catch brynlee crankin her little head around trying to see it too haha. Kenny flew to Cleveland, Ohio on Saturday cuz that's where the car was. His plane left at 5:45 a.m. and he got there, test-drove the car, bought it, then drove it all the way back here. He got home a little after 9 Sat. night. It was a long day for him but it was the only way. When he got back we all loaded up in the car and drove the 45 minutes down to St. Louis airport to pick up his car from that morning (because I didn't want to get the kids up at 3:30 a.m. to take him to the airport). We got all the way down there and he realized he forgot his keys!!! OOhh boy I was so frustrated inside, but what can ya do? On top of that there was a huge wreck that shut down freeway entrances for a while and caused a big detour. Anyway. So we got home at 11:30 and put our ornery, tired kids to bed. We had to go back tonight and we finally got the car.

TV= Taking oVer: I was at the dentist on Wed. (getting a crown put on my tooth) and noticed how every one of the little rooms and patient chairs has a big TV hooked up to it now. I started thinking how funny that is that we have tv's bombarding our lives everywhere we go. Restaurants, airports, airplanes, our cars, our homes, and now our dentist offices...you name it, it's got a tv. Why are we so desperate for constant noise and entertainment? It's insane how we can't just be left to our own thoughts for 5 minutes. We don't just make conversation with people next to us, or read books, or just ponder anything. We just watch tv. It made me think of a talk that Sis. Hawks (a really awesome senior couple missionary in our ward that just went home last week) gave in church. She talked about un-plugging from the world, and plugging into God. I want to try and be better at that. So many distractions! We could waste our lives away completely if we let ourselves.

Edible paper: I think it is imperative that someone come up with books and notebooks full of edible paper. It's Brynlee's favorite thing and frankly I'm tired of taking it away from her. Maybe she likes the taste of paper? Oh that girl. She sure keeps me on my toes too. She crawls everywhere so quickly and sticks E-VER-Y-THING in her mouth. It's pretty gross, and I'm having a heck of a time trying to keep all the floors clean, constantly. Her favorite room is the bathroom and she tries to sneak in there when she thinks no one is watching her. We try to keep the door closed but we go in and out so much with Ty's potty-training and all that sometimes we slip up. She gets hurt a lot lately because she gets into everything and pulls herself up to stand by things, but still falls sometimes. anyways. She's such a doll and I'm glad she's figuring everything in this big world out.

Ok well I need to go to bed so whatever else I wanted to say will have to wait. Good night.

1 comment:

Wii are the Nelsons said...

Well good job Tyler. Congrats on a new car. I really could use some edible paper as well as edible cardboard. James loves that stuff too, but now he'll listen when I ask him to spit it out instead of trying to get it out with my hands...