Monday, October 12, 2009

This one's for you, Steph Magoo

Stephanie and Lindsay at Kim's wedding: May 2009

Steph's always been the ring leader in our family. She's the oldest of 8 children so whether it's her personality, or she just grew into it, we always just listened and followed whatever crazy idea she came up with. And she did indeed come up with crazy ideas :).

Back in 1997 (I think) when our Grandma Backus was dying, we all went over to say goodbye to her one last time. We went out in the backyard afterwards and I was so sad. Steph put her arm around me and told me everything was going to be ok. We walked together and cried together, and I have never forgotten that moment.
Steph convinced me to do my first rebellious act: buy a two-piece swimming suit. She drove the two of us to Old Navy and we tried on, and even bought 2-pieces. Mine was only a tankini, and it just showed like an inch of my stomach when I had it on. But at the time, dad was strictly opposed to ANY kind of 2-piece, whether you were covered or not. So I felt SO guilty that I never even took it out of the bag. I bought it and hid it at the top of my closet! A few years later I found it while cleaning out my closet and laughed so hard at the fun memory.
For a while, in Utah, we shared a room in the downstairs room. Remember Steph, the one with all those TACKY, colorful hand prints all over it? Well we would stand on our bed and climb/sneak out our window at night all the time to go toilet-papering with our cousins and friends. I don't think mom and dad ever knew (well now they do!! haha) We were so mischievous!
When Steph got back from doing a semester abroad at Nauvoo, IL she gave a little intimate devotional on her experiences there to our family. She was so passionate about church history (as she is with so many things) and I gained a stronger testimony just from listening to her.
We were married 5 weeks apart, and our first children are born 5 weeks apart. How cool is that?
When I was in labor and driving to the hospital to deliver my first-born son, Steph called me on the phone. She taught me how to breathe through contractions, since she was due in a month and had attended those birthing classes that I had neglected to go to. I was so nervous and it felt good to talk to her. We were also still debating whether to name our son Tyler, or Kevin. In this same phone call Steph said, "I like Tyler because then you can call him Ty. Ty Weston sounds like the name of a hot football player." I agreed, and he was named Tyler.
She is so bold. In the way she speaks, to how she decorates. I love her style.
The older we get the more I realize how much we have in common. Or maybe it's just that we are getting more things in common as we get older. Either way, I like it.
I can always call her when I want to read a good book because she was an English major and is always reading something. We both dapple in a lot of different areas, and have similar interests so I can always talk to her about something; crafts, kids, husbands, church, TV, cooking, politics, scrap booking, photography, people, homeschooling, the gospel, homemaking, etc. I am so lucky to have such great sisters as my best friends! I've just been thinking about Stephanie lately because she's got like a month or so left until her husband gets home. She is such a trooper and does an amazing job while Andrew's been deployed. I wish so bad that I could come out to visit you in the beautiful Washington state. Maybe someday... just wanted you to know that I've been thinking about you and praying for you guys. Good luck on this last stretch!! You're almost there.
p.s. Remember in the picture up top we were wearing corsets to hide our "baby fat"? Or at least we like to blame our fat on our babies, for as long as people let us use it as an excuse!! :) Hooray for matching dresses--just like the good ol' days.

1 comment:

Carly said...

I wish I had a sister! :) So cute, Linds. Miss you!