Monday, January 25, 2010

And just like that...I'm free!

In T minus 7 days (at probably about this time) I will be bidding farewell to my beautiful children, kissing their sweet cheeks, and heading out the door, leaving them to the care of my trustworthy parents. We will then drive to Galveston to embark on a cruise (destination: Mexico) for the next 5 days. It will be glorious. But I have been having a lot of anxiety over it too, up until this weekend.

A few weeks ago I started cutting out feedings to wean Brynlee. We were down to just when she woke up, and before going to sleep at night. But I knew that in order to leave her for a week she needed to be completely done. The first time I warmed up some soy milk and put it in a bottle for her. She wanted nothing to do with it. I tried it cold. Nothing. I tried a sippy cup (since she had been taking one of those for quite a while and wasn't used to the bottle at all). But she wouldn't do it to go to sleep, only just to drink throughout the day.

I had come to the decision that it might just be easiest to have the final break be when I'm gone. After all, she wouldn't have a choice. I figured it would be easier if I, the source, wasn't there. But a few days ago I felt inspired to try the bottle again, with the milk warmed up. And do you know what? She took it!! She loved it. I was so thrilled. So the next morning I replaced that feeding with a bottle. I gave her the bottle for both naps too. She did great. That night I said, "Enjoy this one Bryn. It's going to be our last time." The next day I did not feed her AT ALL. That was Friday. Today is Monday and we have not even thought about going back. She is done with me, and she is fine with that. Hallelujah! Really, this was an answer to prayers.

Saturday night I tucked the kids in bed; Tyler with his sippy cup and Brynlee with her bottle. I sang them a song, kissed them good night, and walked out of the room. No crying, no protests, they just slipped off to sleep. I looked at Kenny and said, "I think we've arrived."
For the first time in a long time, my body is all mine. I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts :).

7 comments:

Shalee and Andy Weston said...

That is so awesome for you Lindsay! I never expected the emotional adjustment that came along with weaning but when it's time, it's time. The hardest part is feeling like you no longer have a baby, but a little toddler instead and that can be quite the adjustment as well. I hope that you guys have fun on your cruise! Enjoy the warmth for those who have to suffer in the frigged cold of Rexburg!

Carly said...

You go girl!
Enjoy your cruise!

Ben, Charlotte, Troy, and Liam said...

I am so excited for you!! It will be a good time for Bryn and Ty to really bond with Grandma and Grandpa :)

Caitlin said...

oh that's so lovely!

enjoy being free and enjoy your cruise!!!

Elise said...

Yay! I'm so jealous of your cruise...

Shalean said...

I love that feeling of knowing you are free and everybody can be a part of the snuggling and feeding the bottle! Babies are hard to figure out that is for sure!

Hope you guys enjoy Mexico! We decided to wait a couple more years to go on a cruise when we can have more people go with us!

Wii are the Nelsons said...

Amazing job, weaning. I have 2 feedings left to work on....
Have fun, lucky girl!