Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wednesday Thoughts



On Monday I went running outside with the kids, just like the good ol' days (3+ months ago). I couldn't believe it. It was only about 40 degrees, cloudy gray skies, and wet from rain, but I loved it. The whole time I just kept thinking about how it's amazing that there isn't (aren't?) layers and layers and many inches of ice and snow covering the ground. (I know I'm over-killing these Rexburg winter experiences but they really drove me crazy!) I am so grateful that we get 4 seasons here, and none are very extreme. At least they weren't this year.

Last night I went to recipe exchange/book club (combined) for Relief Society. It was so much fun. The book we read is called The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Long name, but SUPER good book. Check it out here. I highly recommend it to anyone that wants a good, light, read. And the recipe theme was appetizers. This is the dip I made-I loved it. And I had to learn how to make roasted peppers for the dip so that was helpful too. There were only 6 of us there but I had such a great time getting to know those women better and discussing such a good book over yummy food.

I have a gigantic bruise on my knee and I have no idea where it came from.

I finally made my blog into books for the past 2 years. The first one (year 2008) came in the mail today and I love having it! I think it's a perfect family record. If Kenny would blog once in a while it would be an even more accurate family record hah, but that's okay.

Tyler keeps pretending to call (on a fake cell phone) his cousin, and one of his best buddies, Josh. He loves playing with him and I wish we could just run over to his house like we could for the first 2 years of their lives. He also said the other day, "Mom, can we go on a looooong car ride to go to Grandma's house?" No matter which Grandma he wanted to see, it's a very long car ride for both of them. It makes me so sad sometimes. Don't get me wrong, we love living here and being our own family unit, and having our own great experiences. BUT. We happen to have the greatest families ever and it's hard to be so far from both. (Of course if we did decide to finally settle down by family, which one and where? Texas, Utah, or Idaho?) We also feel like having relationships with extended family is super important, and helps give children a good roots system. These are some issues that, as a couple and a family, I'm not sure we'll ever fully resolve.

Other books I've read this month: The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease, and The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. Both good books. Although don't read that last one unless you're ready to make some life changes for the way you and your family eat. It causes a lot of thought and inner turmoil haha. Today I started Glenn Beck's An Inconvenient Book.
Brynlee took like 4 or 5 steps the other day! Kenny and I try to have her walk back and forth between us every evening. She's getting better every day. She's still pretty cautious though, and doesn't trust herself.
Movie quote for any fellow Runaway Bride lovers: "Ya just gotta get the rest of your ducks in a row!"

4 comments:

Charity said...

Classic of the kids in the cupboard! Yeah I'm glad I get to read about your life again, I missed you ;)

The Garfields said...

What website do you use to put your blog into a book? I'm interested in doing something like that.

Wii are the Nelsons said...

Don't you just love those blog books! I have to make mine for 2008 and 2009. I lost my 2008 one and haven't gotten around to redoing it because there's tons of posts when James was born.

Shelley said...

I don't think you are exaggerating Rexburg winters. I'm dying for spring or summer!