Saturday, January 9, 2010

Snow Days



This is Brynlee, Tyler, Ryan and Laura. The last two are our next-door neighbors whom we got to babysit on Thursday and Friday. It was an interesting change of pace for me. Their ages are 3, 2, 1 1/2, and 11 months. I figure when it's not even physically possible to bring them into the world that quickly, then you know you're in trouble.
What I love about this picture is that they are looking out the window watching the snow fall. That very same position, looking over the back of a couch is exactly how I would watch the snow come down in my Grandpa and Grandma Backus' house growing up. We would come up to Utah from Texas (or wherever we were living) for Christmas sometimes. I just thought snow was the most magical thing. Obviously we didn't have it in Texas, so I thought it was so neat and I would watch it forever. Sometimes snow loses it's magic for me because I just worry about keeping my kids warm. But seeing it through my children's eyes brought back some of that "wow" factor. A fresh layer of snow really is beautiful.
Apparently it hasn't been this cold here since the 90's. That's what our neighbor told us, and he would know--he grew up here. It made a lot more sense why everyone is cancelling everything and shutting down their lives because of the weather. Having survived Rexburg, Kenny and I think they're all a bunch of wusses :).

No comments: