Friday, February 27, 2009

Thoughts on nursing

1. Why does it have to be that every time someone wants to come over, or a FedEx man needs me to sign on a package, or I need to go somewhere, that you can guarantee I will be breast-feeding!! I guess it's inevitable since it consumes most of my day (and night). But I hate it. I will be so glad when she doesn't eat as often, and even eats cereals and baby foods and stuff. Because then it won't matter if we have to stop mid-feeding. It doesn't take me extra time to cover anything up. I don't know about all of you nursing mothers but I get pretty stressed out by it some days. I feel pretty confined like I can't go anywhere for longer than 2 hours because I need to feed her, and I don't like doing it anywhere but in privacy, like my own home. Or church is ok because there's at least a mother's room and I can come and go as I please. Something I'll have to figure out or get over if I'm going to continue having children.

2. I think it's very rude of whoever thought up the big scheme to make it so babies are so sensitive to everything we eat. I will take the losing sleep, and a loss of freedom with my time and where I go. But please, please don't take away my food. I need my chocolate, my dairy indulging, my mexican foods, and just the simple peace of mind that I can eat what I want. Ah well! All sacrifices of love I guess.

3. I have decided to be more productive with my nursing time. I now read conference talks or listen to them, read books, etc. No more spider solitaire. (I was getting really good at it by the way.)

4. I am so glad that breast-feeding is free. That's one of the biggest perks.

5. I hate not getting enough sleep because it makes me more impatient and stuff and I feel bad about that. But I will admit that most of the time it's really not so bad. It's nice to have some peaceful one-on-one time, even if it's in the middle of the night. It's a great time to get little revelations on things. I get to think about things a lot more, and just bask in little Brynlee's sweet spirit. I love my girl.

7 comments:

Kellen and Erin said...

Breastfeeding didn't work out with Cole so I'm going to try again with this next one, and the things you are talking about have been my concerns lately. I guess I'm preparing myself for feeling confined, and also feeling like I still don't have my body back because I'm still 'sharing' it. I like that you are trying to make the breastfeeding times a little more productive though, and that has given me some good ideas of what I can do too. You're both just so beautiful!

The Walkers said...

Breastfeeding is one of the things I have been most excited about when thinking about being a mother. Thanks for putting a little light on it- I'm still really excited but see it a little more realistically. It's kind of fun though, that even after the baby is born, you still have something that is strictly for mothers- no dads allowed :)

Wii are the Nelsons said...

yeah I'm glad James eats now every 3 hours instead of 1 1/2 -2....what a huge difference it makes...I miss my dairy foods; that has been really hard for me...I've read like 4 books already and have gotten farther in my scriptures by reading while nursing....

Elise said...

But I do kind of admire those women who are completely unafraid to just bare themselves and pop out the boob...I could never be that comfortable with myself, but hey! Think of the freedom they enjoy!

Carly said...

You are such a beautiful momma, Linds!

Shalean said...

Not my favorite thing either when having a newborn, but it is something that gives me great accomplishment and LOVE the mommy/baby time we get to spend together. I got really good at nursing in public and sometimes was amazed at myself (probably because I couldn't see what everyone else could)!! She is a sweetie Linds! Can't wait to meet her.

kate said...

Do you have a "Mommy Cover"? It works amazingly well! In fact it covers so well that I even feel comfortable nursing in public when I have to. They would probably be really easy to make to- since you're such a wiz with the sewing machine :).