Friday, February 13, 2009

Update

I seem to be having a hard time getting to the computer lately. And even though right now I'd rather be sleeping since we just got both of the kids down, I want to catch up so that I don't forget the events of our first few days adjusting to being a family of four.

First let me say that delivering the baby is only the beginning. It doesn't take long for the after-birth pains, or whatever they're called, to kick in and it was like labor round 2. Zero fun sir. Thank goodness for pain meds. On top of that, is waiting for the stitches to heal. This has been much better experience than last time though. The hormone changes and frequent crying episodes are fun for not just me, but everyone that's around me too, I'm sure. And we can't forget about every nursing mother's favorite visitor, the milkman. He came with a special delivery for me a couple nights ago. Boy did he deliver! To add to these lovely things, my ankles and legs have joined forces; I now have my own set of fat, swollen cankles! I never swell during pregnancies, and I didn't have edema after delivering Tyler, so this is all very new to me. I hate it. And of course, the no-sleep thing is something I don't think I'll ever get used to. Ok, I'm done complaining about everything because in all reality, this time around everything has been SOO much better. I have felt a thousand times better ever since I delivered Brynlee, than I did in recovering from Tyler. For that, I am very grateful.

Tyler has gotten really sick since we came home from the hospital. He had a cold before, then got a cough and it was getting worse. Thursday I had to take Brynlee into the pediatrician to get her jaundice checked out (a whole other story) and I asked him if he would just listen to Tyler's cough while we were there because it sounded like it was in his chest. He did listen to it, and he said it was fine and just needed to run it's course. Then just started checking other things out and found an ear infection! Little did I know! So we got an antibiotic luckily. But that night he got a really high fever and threw up and was just sicker than a dog. He would just lay on the floor and moan for a while. It was the saddest thing ever. Luckily he's doing better today, but it was stressing me out a lot. I do NOT want him to get Brynlee sick, or me since I have to take care of both of them. We're praying that we can both stay healthy with him around. I feel extra bad because he really wants to hold Brynlee all the time and is so fascinated with this baby and just loves her so much. It's really hard to keep telling him no he can't hold her, or touch her, or breathe around her for that matter. I keep telling him it's because he's sick, and that as soon as he's better he can play with her all the time. I hope he understands.

Brynlee is doing well, but as I mentioned before has a little case of jandice. In the hospital they kept her under the bili lights and would just bring her to me every 3 hours, for no longer than 30 minutes, to nurse her. I hated it. We had to go to the pediatrician, as I mentioned earlier, the morning after we got home from the hospital. Then he had me take her over to the lab and so they could cut her heel again and draw some blood to test her bili levels. She screamed a lot. I swear it took like 5 whole minutes. Apparently her blood wasn't coming very quickly so he sat there squeezing every last drop out of her poor little foot. She was so upset, and so was I. We have to go back in to both the doctor and the lab again tomorrow. I really hope she gets better soon. Other than that, she is just the most beautiful little girl I've ever seen and every time I look at her, I can't believe she's mine.

4 comments:

Dax and Jen said...

You're right the recovery is definitely NO fun! Hope that you get healed up quickly and that you heal up well. I got headaches when I stopped taking the tylenol with codeine, that stuff is really addicting to your body (and I only took it for 5 days)! Brynlee is beautiful.

Elise said...

I'm sorry your little guy is sick! That is no fun at all. I hope you feel better soon too.

I know how you feel with all the jaundice tests and heel pricks and screaming baby...we had to do that with Violet and it is not a good memory for me!

Andersen said...

Lindsay,
Your baby girl is just a doll. I think she looks a lot like you. OUr little girl is now 4 weeks old and I am finally adjusting to it all. I was actually having a hard time and Marshall got really really busy with school so I have been staying with my parents for the past week and a half. My only advise would be to just enjoy and always laugh at the hard times.

Wii are the Nelsons said...

I hated when they stuck the needle in my baby's foot....some nurses are way better at it, I found out later...I hope Tyler feels better!